Chebassier, N. et al., In vitro induction of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in keratinocytes by boron and manganese, Exp. Der-matol., 13, 484, 2004.
Vincent, J.B., Recent advances in the nutritional biochemistry of trivalent chromium, Proc. Nutr. Soc, 63, 41, 2004.
Ryan, G.J. et al., Chromium as adjunctive treatment for type 2 diabetes, Ann. Phar-macother., 37, 876, 2003.
Vincent, J.B., The potential value and toxicity of chromium picolinate as a nutritional supplement, weight loss agent and muscle development agent, Sports Med., 33, 213, 2003.
Reading, S.A., Chromium picolinate. J. Fla. Med. Assoc., Jan., 83 (1), 29-31, 1996. Anon., A scientific review: the role of chromium in insulin resistance, Diabetes Educ., 14 (2), 2004.
Shrivastava, R. et al., Effects of chromium on the immune system. FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol., 34, 1, 2002.
Gunton, J.E. et al., Chromium supplementation does not improve glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, or lipid profile: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of supplementation in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance, Diabetes Care, 28, 712, 2005.
Althuis, M.D. et al., Glucose and insulin responses to dietary chromium supplements: a meta-analysis, Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 76, 148, 2002. Elkoubi, P., Copper, J. Chir. (Paris), 126, 248, 1989.
Holtzman, N.A., Menkes' kinky hair syndrome: a genetic disease involving copper, Fed. Proc., 35, 2276, 1976.
Horwitt, M.K., Harvey, C.C., and Dahm, Jr., C.H., Relationship between levels of blood lipids, vitamins C, A, and E, serum copper compounds, and urinary excretions of tryptophan metabolites in women taking oral contraceptive therapy, Am. J. Clin. Nutr, 28, 403, 1975.
79. Gosling, P. et al., Serum copper and zinc concentrations in patients with burns in relation to burn surface area, J. Burn Care Rehabil, 16, 481, 1995.
80. Gaetke, L.M. and Chow, C.K., Copper toxicity, oxidative stress, and antioxidant nutrients, Toxicity, 189, 47, 2003.
81. Menkes, J.H., Kinky hair disease: twenty five years later, Brain Dev., 10, 77, 1988.
82. Prodan, C.I. et al., CNS demyelination associated with copper deficiency and hyper-zincemia, Neurology, 59, 1453, 2002.
83. Uriu-Adams, J.Y. and Keen, C.L., Copper, oxidative stress, and human health, Mol. Aspects Med, 26, 268, 2005.
84. Sen, C.K., Copper-induced vascular endothelial growth factor expression and wound healing, Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol., 282, H1821, 2002.
85. Tapiero, H., Townsend, D.M., and Tew, K.D., Trace elements in human physiology and pathology, Copper, Biomed. Pharmacother., 57, 386, 2003.
86. Shetty, K.R. and Duthie, Jr., E.H., Thyrotoxicosis induced by topical iodine application, Arch. Intern. Med, 150, 2400, 1990.
87. Dobson, A.W., Erikson, K.M., and Aschner, M., Manganese neurotoxicity, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 1012, 115, 2004.
88. Alissa, E.M., Bahijri, S.M., and Ferns, G.A., The controversy surrounding selenium and cardiovascular disease: a review of the evidence, Med. Sci. Monit., 9, RA9, 2003.
89. Petrie, H.T., Klassen, L.W., and Kay, H.D., Selenium and the immune response: modulation of alloreactive human lymphocyte functions in vitro, J. Leukoc. Biol., 45, 207, 1989.
90. Carlisle, E.M., Silicon as a trace nutrient, Sci. Total Environ, 73, 95, 1988.
91. Monafo, W. and Moyer, C., The treatment of extensive thermal burns with 0.5% silver nitrate solution in early treatment of severe burns, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 50, 937, 1968.
92. Prasad, A.S., Clinical, endocrinological and biochemical effects of zinc deficiency, Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 14, 567, 1985.
93. Rostan, E.F. et al., Evidence supporting zinc as an important antioxidant for skin, Int. J. Dermatol, 41, 606, 2002.
94. Ilback, N.G. et al., Metallothioneins induced and trace element balance changed in target organs of a common viral infection, Toxicology, 199, 241, 2004.
95. Lansdown, A.B., Sampson, B., and Rowe, A., Sequential changes in trace metal, metallothionein and calmodulin concentrations in healing skin wounds, J. Anat., 195, 375, 1999.
96. Mocchegiani, E. et al., Metallothioneins/PARP-1/IL-6 interplay on natural killer cell activity in elderly: parallelism with nonagenarians and old infected humans. Effect of zinc supply, Mech. Aging Dev., 124, 459, 2003.
97. Ravanti, L. and Kahari, V.M., Matrix metalloproteinases in wound repair, Int. J. Mol. Med, 6, 391, 2000.
98. Diegelmann, R.F. and Evans, M.C., Wound healing: an overview of acute, fibrotic and delayed healing, Front. Biosci., 9, 283, 2004.
99. Grimble, R.F., Nutritional antioxidants and the modulation of inflammation: theory and practice, New Horiz., 2, 175, 1994.
100. Bryant, R.E., Crouse, R., and Deagen, J.T., Zinc, iron, copper, selenium, lactoferrin, and ferritin in human pus, Am. J. Med. Sci., 327, 73, 2004.
101. Chandra, R.K. and Grace, A., Goldsmith Award lecture. Trace element regulation of immunity and infection, J. Am. Coll. Nutr, 4, 5, 1984.
102. Ferencik, M. and Ebringer, L., Modulatory effects of selenium and zinc on the immune system, Folia. Microbiol. (Praha), 48, 417, 2003.
Kim, S.H. et al., Selenium attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced oxidative stress responses through modulation of p38 MAPK and NF-B signaling pathways, Exp. Biol. Med. (Maywood), 229, 203, 2004.
Gartner, R., Albrich, W., and Angstwurm, M.W., The effect of a selenium supplementation on the outcome of patients with severe systemic inflammation, burn and trauma, Biofactors, 14, 199, 2001.
Gazdik, F., Kadrabova, J., and Gazdikova, K., Decreased consumption of corticos-teroids after selenium supplementation in corticoid-dependent asthmatics, Bratisl. Lek. Listy, 103, 22, 2002.
Gartner, R. and Angstwurm, M., Significance of selenium in intensive care medicine. Clinical studies of patients with SIRS/sepsis syndrome, Med. Klin. (Munich), 94(Suppl. 3), 54, 1999.
Srinivas, U. et al., Trace element alterations in infectious diseases, Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest, 48, 495, 1988.
Scuderi, P., Differential effects of copper and zinc on human peripheral blood monocyte cytokine secretion, Cell. Immunol., 126, 391, 1990.
Shenkin, A., Trace elements and inflammatory response: implications for nutritional support, Nutrition, 11(1 Suppl.), 100, 1995.
Wellinghausen, N., Martin, M., and Rink, L., Zinc inhibits interleukin-1-dependent T cell stimulation, Eur. J. Immunol., 27, 2529, 1997.
Sprietsma, J.E., Zinc-controlled Th1/Th2 switch significantly determines development of diseases, Med. Hypothese, 49, 1, 1997.
Meydani, M., Nutrition interventions in aging and age-associated disease, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 928, 226, 2001.
Chandra, R.K., Effect of vitamin and trace-element supplementation on immune responses and infection in elderly subjects, Lancet, 340, 1124, 1992. Lesourd, B.M., Immunologic aging. Effect of denutrition, Ann. Biol. Clin. (Paris), 48, 309, 1990.
Moulin, V. et al., Role of wound healing myofibroblasts on re-epithelialization of human skin, Burns, 26, 3, 2000.
Tenaud, I. et al., In vitro modulation of keratinocyte wound healing integrins by zinc, copper and manganese, Br. J. Dermatol, 140, 26, 1999.
Saito, Y. et al., Cell death caused by selenium deficiency and protective effect of antioxidants, J. Biol. Chem., 278, 39428, 2003.
Chimienti, F. et al., Zinc homeostasis-regulating proteins: new drug targets for triggering cell fate, Curr. Drug Targets, 4, 323, 2003.
Jeschke, M.G. et al., Non-viral liposomal keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) cDNA gene transfer improves dermal and epidermal regeneration through stimulation of epithelial and mesenchymal factors, Gene Ther., 9, 1065, 2002. Nassif, A. et al., Evaluation of the potential role of cytokines in toxic epidermal necrolysis, J. Invest. Dermatol, 123, 850, 2004.
Chebassier, N. et al., Stimulatory effect of boron and manganese salts on keratinocyte migration, Acta. Derm. Venereol., 84, 191, 2004.
Jorgensen, L.N., Collagen deposition in the subcutaneous tissue during wound healing in humans: a model evaluation, APMIS, Suppl.(115), 1, 2003. McCusker, R.H. and Novakofski, J., Zinc partitions insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) from soluble IGF binding protein (IGFBP)-5 to the cell surface receptors of BC3H-1 muscle cells, J. Cell. Physiol., 197 (3), 388, 2003.
124. Sackett, R.L. and McCusker, R.H., Multivalent cations depress ligand affinity of insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins-3 and -5 on human GM-10 fibroblast cell surfaces, J. Cell. Biochem, 69, 364, 1998.
125. Scuderi, P., Differential effects of copper and zinc on human peripheral blood monocyte cytokine secretion, Cell Immunol, 126, 391, 1990.
126. Carpentieri, U. et al., Trace metals, surface receptors and growth of human normal and leukemic lymphocytes, Anticancer Res., 8, 1393, 1988.
127. Rink, L. and Kirchner, H., Zinc-altered immune function and cytokine production, J. Nutr., 130(5S Suppl.), 1407S, 2000.
128. Scott, G.M. et al., Effects of cloned interferon 2 in normal volunteers: febrile reactions and changes in circulating corticosteroids and trace metals, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother, 23, 589, 1983.
129. Wu, X. et al., Zinc-induced sodium-dependent vitamin C transporter 2 expression: potent roles in osteoblast differentiation, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 420, 114, 2003.
130. Miao, M., Qin, Z.L., and Niu, X.T., Trace elements and extracellular matrix, Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi., 15, 188, 2001.
131. Arisawa, S. et al., Effect of the hydroxyl radical on fibroblast-mediated collagen remodelling in vitro, Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol., 23, 222, 1996.
132. Bang, R.L. and Dashti, H., Keloid and hypertrophic scars: trace element alteration, Nutrition, 11(5 Suppl.), 527, 1995.
133. Vaxman, F. et al., Effect of pantothenic acid and ascorbic acid supplementation on human skin wound healing process. A double-blind, prospective and randomized trial, Eur. Surg. Res., 27, 158, 1995.
134. Satish, L., Yager, D., and Wells, A., Glu-Leu-Arg-negative CXC chemokine interferon inducible protein-9 as a mediator of epidermal-dermal communication during wound repair, J. Invest. Dermatol, 120, 1110, 2003.
135. Heng, M.K., Song, M.K., and Heng, M.C., Reciprocity between tissue calmodulin and cAMP levels: modulation by excess zinc, Br. J. Dermatol, 129, 280, 1993.
Was this article helpful?