2. Cystic fibrosis.
3. Increased abdominal pressure caused by straining (eg, constipation, protracted coughing, excessive vomiting, chronic straining during urination).
4. Acute or chronic diarrheal disease (eg, giardiasis, shigellosis).
5. Parasitic disease with infestations (eg, pinworm, whipworm).
8. Pelvic floor weakness secondary to neurologic disorders.
9. Sexual abuse.
10. Other causes include Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and congenital hypothyroidism.
B. Prolapsing Rectal Polyp. Rare condition; patient presents with a darker, smaller mass than that seen in rectal prolapse.
Was this article helpful?