Kaposi's sarcoma, described above under eyelid tumors, can also occur in the conjunctiva in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome. In the conjunctive, it appears as a diffuse red mass that may be mistaken for a hemorrhagic conjunctivitis.
• Most conjunctival tumors in children are benign
• The majority of conjunctival tumors in children are pigmented or nonpigmented nevi
• Conjunctival nevi often manifest intrale-sional cysts
• Conjunctival nevi rarely evolve into melanoma (<1%)
• Episcleral melanocytosis is a sign of possible uveal melanocytosis and all affected eyes should be dilated once or twice a year, as there is a small risk for uveal melanoma
Was this article helpful?
Complete Guide to Preventing Skin Cancer. We all know enough to fear the name, just as we do the words tumor and malignant. But apart from that, most of us know very little at all about cancer, especially skin cancer in itself. If I were to ask you to tell me about skin cancer right now, what would you say? Apart from the fact that its a cancer on the skin, that is.