1. Marcove RC, Miller TR, Cahan WC. Treatment of primary and metastatic bone tumors by repetitive freezing. Bull NY Acad Med 1968; 44:532-544.
2. Marcove RC, Miller TR. Treatment of primary and metastatic bone tumors by cryosurgery. JAMA 1969; 207:1890-1894.
3. Marcove RC, Lyden JP, Huvos AG, Bullough PG. Giant cell tumors treated by cryosurgery. A report of twenty-five cases. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1973; 55:1633-1644.
4. Marcove RC, Stovell PB, Huvos AG, Bullough PG. The use of cryosurgery in the treatment of low and medium grade chondrosarcoma. A preliminary report. Clin Orthop 1977; 122:147-156.
5. Marcove RC, Weis LD, Vaghaiwalla MR, Pearson R. Cryosurgery in the treatment of giant cell tumors of bone. A report of 52 consecutive cases. Clin Orthop 1978; 134:275-289.
6. Marcove RC. A 17 year review of cryosurgery in the treatment of bone tumors. Clin Orthop 1982; 163:231-234.
7. Marcove RC, Zahr KA, Huvos AG, Ogihara W. Cryosurgery in osteogenic sarcoma: a report in three cases. Compr Ther 1984; 10:52-60.
FIGURE 6 Axial computed tomography image taken during cryoablation of the tumor demonstrated in Figure 5. There was temporary relief of pain with no serious neurological sequalae, although the patient later succumbed to the disease.
8. Jacobs PA, Clemency RE Jr. The closed cryosurgical treatment of giant cell tumor. Clin Orthop 1985; 192:149-158.
9. Rock MG. Treatment of bone cysts and giant cell tumors. Curr Opin Orthopaed 1990; 1:423-434.
10. Malawer MM, Dunham W. Cryosurgery and acrylic cementation as surgical adjuncts in the treatment of aggressive (benign) bone tumors. Analysis of 25 patients below the age of 21. Clin Orthop 1991; 262:42-57.
11. Aboulafia AJ, Rosenbaum DH, Sicard-Rosenbaum L, Jelinek JS, Malawer MM. Treatment of large subchondral tumors of the knee with cryosurgery and composite reconstruction. Clin Orthop 1994; 307:189-199.
12. Schreuder HW, Conrad EU, Bruckner JD, Howlett AT, Sorensen LS. Treatment of simple bone cysts in children with curettage and cryosurgery. J Pediatr Orthop 1997; 17:814-820.
13. Schreuder HW, Veth RP, Pruszczynski M, Lemmens JA, Schraffordt Koops H, Molenaar WM. Aneurysmal bone cysts treated by curettage, cryotherapy and bone grafting. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 1997; 79:20-25.
14. Schreuder HW, Pruszczynski M, Lemmens JA, Veth RP. Eosinophilic granuloma of bone: results of treatment with curettage, cryosurgery and bone grafting. J Pediatr Orthop B 1998; 7:253-256.
15. Schreuder HW, Pruszczynski M, Veth RP, Lemmens JA. Treatment of benign and low-grade malignant intramedullary chondroid tumors with curettage and cryosurgery. Eur J Surg Oncol 1998; 24: 120-126.
16. Bickels J, Meller I, Shmookler BM, Malawer MM. The role and biology of cryosurgery in the treatment of bone tumors. A review. Acta Orthop Scand 1999; 70:308-315.
17. Malawer MM, Bickels J, Meller I, Buch RG, Henshaw RM, Kollender Y. Cryosurgery in the treatment of giant cell tumor. Clin Orthop 1999; 2:176-188.
18. Wittig JC, Simpson BM, Bickels J, Kellar-Graney KL, Malawer MM. Giant cell tumor of the hand: superior results with curettage, cryosurgery, and cementation. J Hand Surg (Am) 2001; 26:546-555.
19. Kollender Y, Meller I, Bickels J, et al. Role of adjuvant cryosurgery in intralesional treatment of sacral tumors. Cancer 2003; 97:2830-2838.
20. Veth R, Schreuder B, van Beem H, Pruszczynski M, de Rooy J. Cryosurgery in aggressive, benign, and low-grade malignant bone tumours. Lancet Oncol 2005; 6:25-34.
21. Ahlmann ER, Menendez LR, Fedenko AN, Learch T. Influence of cryosurgery on treatment outcome of low-grade chondrosarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006; 451:201-207.
22. Bickels J, Kollender Y, Merimsky O, Isaakov J, Petyan-Brand R, Meller I. Closed argon-based cryoabla-tion of bone tumours. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2004; 86:714-718.
23. Beland M, Dupuy D, Mayo-Smith W. Percutaneous cryoablation of symptomatic extraabdominal metastatic disease: preliminary results. AJR 2005; 184:926-930.
24. Callstrom MR, Charboneau JM, Goetz MP, et al. Image-guided ablation of painful metastatic bone tumors: a new and effective approach to a difficult problem. Skeletal Radiol 2006; 35:1-15.
25. Korpan N. Basics of Cryosurgery. New York: Springer-Verlag/Wien 2001.
26. Robinson D, Halperin N, Nevo Z. Two freezing cycles ensure interface sterilization by cryosurgery during bone tumor resection. Cryobiology 2001; 43:4-10.
27. Hoffman NE, Bischof JC. The cryobiology of cryosurgical injury. Urology 2002; 60(suppl 2A):40-49.
28. Finelli A, Rewcastle JC, Jewett M. Cryotherapy and radiofrequency ablation: pathophysiologic basis and laboratory studies. Curr Opin Urol 2003; 13:187-191.
29. Baust JG, Gage AA. The molecular basis of cryosurgery. BJU International 2005; 95:1187-1191.
30. Allaf ME, Varkarakis IM, Bhayani SB, Inagaki T, Kavoussi LR, Solomon SB. Pain control requirements for percutaneous ablation of renal tumors: cryoablation versus radiofrequency ablation—initial observations. Radiology 2005; 237:366-370.
31. Goldberg SN, Grassi CJ, Cardella JF, et al. Image-guided tumor ablation: standardization of terminology and reporting criteria. Radiology 2005; 235:728-739.
32. Fisher AD, Williams DF, Bradley PF. The effect of cryosurgery on the strength of bone. Br J Oral Surg 1978; 15:215-222.
33. Pritsch T, Bickels J, Wu CC, Squires HH, Malawe MM. The risk for fractures after curettage and cryosurgery around the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007; [Epub ahead of print].
Was this article helpful?
Deal With Your Pain, Lead A Wonderful Life An Live Like A 'Normal' Person. Before I really start telling you anything about me or finding out anything about you, I want you to know that I sympathize with you. Not only is it one of the most painful experiences to have backpain. Not only is it the number one excuse for employees not coming into work. But perhaps just as significantly, it is something that I suffered from for years.