• The evolution of brain abscesses progresses through four stages: early cerebritis, late cerebritis, early capsule formation and late capsule formation.
• The microbiological profile of a brain abscess is closely linked to the underlying etiology.
• Surgical management of brain abscess consists of stereotactic aspiration or craniotomy and excision of the capsule.
• Frequent imaging is essential during treatment.
• Successful treatment of other infections of the nervous system requires prompt recognition, drainage in some cases and appropriate antibiotic therapy.
Was this article helpful?
The term vaginitis is one that is applied to any inflammation or infection of the vagina, and there are many different conditions that are categorized together under this ‘broad’ heading, including bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis and non-infectious vaginitis.