1. Appropriate restriction endonucleases and manufacturer's buffers (e.g., Boehringer Mannheim, Lewes, UK).
2. Agarose (Life Technologies, Paisley, Scotland).
3. 10X TBE (0.89 M Tris-borate, 0.89 M boric acid, 0.02 M EDTA; per liter 108 g Tris base, 55 g boric acid, 9.4 g EDTA).
4. Ethidium bromide (10 mg/mL). Stored at 4°C in the dark. Caution: ethidium bromide is a potent carcinogen.
5. Phenol (molecular biology-grade; Life Technologies). Melted at 65°C in a fume cupboard and equilibrated with 0.1 M Tris. HCl, pH 7.0, followed by addition of a few crystals of 8-hydroxyquinoline, which will color the solution yellow. Stored in the dark at 4°C, and discarded if the solution begins to turn orange.
6. Chloroform (AnalaR; Merck BDH).
Was this article helpful?