Here are facts that patients should know about vaccinations:
• Explain risk of contracting vaccine-preventable diseases.
• Female patients of childbearing age must avoid becoming pregnant within a month of receiving the vaccine.
• Provide the patient or family with current Vaccine Information Statements (VISs) available from CDC for each vaccine administered. Be sure to include the date of vaccination, route and site, vaccine type, manufacturer, lot number, and expiration date, name, address, and title of individual administering vaccine.
• Remind patient or family to bring the VIS record to all visits.
• Provide patient or family with date for return for next vaccination.
• Discuss common side effects of receiving the vaccine.
• Tell patient or family to contact healthcare provider if they see signs of a serious reaction to the vaccine.
Was this article helpful?