1. The gecko is a reptile with an amazing ability to climb smooth surfaces, including glass. Recent discoveries indicate that geckos stick to smooth surfaces via van der Waals interactions between septae on their feet and the smooth surface. How is this method of stickiness advantageous over covalent interactions? Given that van der Waals forces are among the weakest molecular interactions, how can the gecko's feet stick so effectively?
2. The K+ channel is an example of a transmembrane protein (a protein that spans the phospholipid bilayer of the plasma membrane). What types of amino acids are likely to be found (a) lining the channel through which K+ passes; (b) in contact with the phospholipid bilayer containing fatty acid; (c) in the cytosolic domain of the protein; and (d) in the extracellular domain of the protein?
3. V-M-Y-Y-E-N: This is the single-letter amino acid abbreviation for a peptide. Draw the structure of this peptide. What is the net charge of this peptide at pH 7.0? An enzyme called a protein tyrosine kinase can attach phosphates to the hydroxyl groups of tyrosine. What is the net charge of the peptide at pH 7.0 after it has been phosphorylated by a ty-rosine kinase? What is the likely source of phosphate utilized by the kinase for this reaction?
4. Disulfide bonds help to stabilize the three-dimensional structure of proteins. What amino acids are involved in the formation of disulfide bonds? Does the formation of a disul-fide bond increase or decrease entropy (AS)?
5. In the 1960s, the drug thalidomide was prescribed to pregnant women to treat morning sickness. However, thalidomide caused severe limb defects in the children of some women who took the drug, and its use for morning sickness was discontinued. It is now known that thalidomide was administered as a mixture of two stereoisomeric compounds, one of which relieved morning sickness and the other of which was responsible for the birth defects. What are stereoisomers? Why might two such closely related compounds have such different physiologic effects?
6. Name the compound shown below. Is this nucleotide a component of DNA, RNA, or both? Name one other function of this compound.
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.