1. A 21-year-old man is a full-time college student who also works 25 hours per week. Over the past 3 months he has become increasingly anxious. He says he is tired most of the time and has trouble concentrating on his studies. Which of the following drugs would be the most appropriate initial phar-macologic treatment for his anxiety?
(B) Alprazolam (c) Zolpidem
2. A 33-year-old woman has recently undergone a divorce. She reports that although she is exhausted, it usually takes her 2 or more hours to fall asleep at night. Which of the following drugs would help relieve her sleep disturbance while being least disruptive to REM sleep?
(b) Chloral hydrate
3. A 54-year-old man is scheduled for an elective colonoscopy that will take approximately 20 minutes. Which of the following drugs would be most likely to produce the desired anesthesia and antero-grade amnesia?
4. A 33-year-old woman has a 15-year history of alcohol abuse. She comes to the emergency department for treatment of injuries received in a fall. She says she has been drinking heavily and almost continuously for 2 weeks, and she wants to stop. Which of the following drugs would most effectively and safely lessen the intensity of her withdrawal syndrome?
(C) Chloral hydrate
5. A 23-year-old medical student has to make a presentation before his classmates. He is very anxious about this presentation and reports that on one previous occasion the sweating and palpitations that accompany his stage fright were so intense that he was unable to complete his presentation. Pretreatment with which of the following drugs would relieve his symptoms without making him drowsy?
(C) Chloral hydrate
Was this article helpful?
Salvation For The Sleep Deprived The Ultimate Guide To Sleeping, Napping, Resting And Restoring Your Energy. Of the many things that we do just instinctively and do not give much of a thought to, sleep is probably the most prominent one. Most of us sleep only because we have to. We sleep because we cannot stay awake all 24 hours in the day.