1. Frequently it is useful to consider the overall exposure of a person to a drug during the dosing interval. Which of the following pharmacokinetic parameters defines the exposure of a person to a drug?
(C) AUC (area under the curve)
2. Organs such as the liver remove exogenous chemicals, such as drugs, from the body. For drugs such as phenytoin, for which the difference between the minimum effective concentration and the minimum toxic concentration is small, clinicians must calculate the rate at which a given individual removes drug from the body. The volume of fluid from which drug can be completely removed per unit of time (rate of drug removal) is termed:
3. For a drug such as piroxicam with a 40-hour halflife and being dosed once daily (i.e., every 24 hours), steady state will be reached shortly following which DOSE (not which half-life)?
4. Volume of distribution (Vd), though not a physiological volume, helps a clinician to estimate drug distribution in the body. Drugs distribute throughout the body to differing degrees depending on a number of factors. Which of the following factors is TRUE concerning drug distribution?
(A) In general, a drug with a higher degree of plasma protein binding will have a lower volume of distribution.
(B) All drugs distribute to the same degree in all tissues.
(C) The binding of drugs to tissues has no relationship to the distribution of drug in the body.
(D) In general, lipophilic drugs distribute to a lesser extent than hydrophilic drugs.
5. A clinician must be concerned with the amount of a drug dose that reaches the systemic circulation, since this will affect the plasma concentration and therapeutic effects observed. The fraction of a dose reaching the systemic circulation as unchanged drug (i.e., intact) is defined as:
(A) Theoretical dose
(D) Ideal dose
Was this article helpful?
Are Constant Headaches Making Your Life Stressful? Discover Proven Methods For Eliminating Even The Most Powerful Of Headaches, It’s Easier Than You Think… Stop Chronic Migraine Pain and Tension Headaches From Destroying Your Life… Proven steps anyone can take to overcome even the worst chronic head pain…