1. Muir C, Weiland L. Upper aerodigestive tract cancers. Cancer 1995; 75:147-153.
2. Boyle P, Macfarlane GJ, Zheng T, Maisonneuve P, Evstifeeva T, Scully C. Recent advances in epidemiology of head and neck cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 1992; 4:471-477.
3. Vokes EE, Weichselbaum RR, Lippman SM, Hong WK. Head and neck cancer. N Engl J Med 1993; 328:184-194.
4. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 1996.
5. Swango PA. Cancers of the oral cavity and pharynx in the United States: an epidemio-logic overview. J Public Health Dent 1996; 56:309-318.
6. Taneja C, Allen H, Koness RJ, Radie-Keane K, Wanebo HJ. Changing patterns of failure of head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002; 128: 324-327.
7. Ries L, Kosary C. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1973-1996. National Cancer Institute, 1999.
8. Horowitz AM, Goodman HS, Yellowitz JA, Nourjah PA. The need for health promotion in oral cancer prevention and early detection. J Public Health Dent 1996.
9. Wynder EL, Mushinski MH, Spivak JC. Tobacco and alcohol consumption in relation to the development of multiple primary cancers. Cancer 1977; 40:1872-1878.
10. Spitz MR. Epidemiology and risk factors for head and neck cancer. Semin Oncol 1994; 21:281-288.
11. Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Spitz MR, Tashkin DP, Yu GP, Marshall JR, Hsu TC, Schantz SP. Marijuana use and increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1999; 8:1071-1078.
12. Gillison ML, Koch WM, Shah KV. Human papillomavirus in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: are some head and neck cancers a sexually transmitted disease? Curr Opin Oncol 1999; 11:191-199.
13. Horowitz AM, Nourjah P, Gift HC. U.S. adult knowledge of risk factors and signs of oral cancers: 1990. J Am Dent Assoc 1995; 126:39-45.
14. Jovanovic A, van der Tol IG, Kostense PJ, Schulten EA, de Vries N, Snow GB, van der Waal I. Second respiratory and upper digestive tract cancer following oral squamous cell carcinoma. Eur J Cancer B Oral Oncol 1994; 30B:225-229.
15. Greene F, Page D, Fleming I. American Joint Committee on Cancer. Berlin: SpringerVerlag, 2002.
16. Lindberg R. Distribution of cervical lymph node metastases from squamous cell carcinoma of the upper respiratory and digestive tracts. Cancer 1972; 29:1446-1449.
17. Mukherji SK, Armao D, Joshi VM. Cervical nodal metastases in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: what to expect. Head Neck 2001; 23:995-1005.
18. Shah JP. Patterns of cervical lymph node metastasis from squamous carcinomas of the upper aerodigestive tract. Am J Surg 1990; 160:405-409.
19. Ward G, Hendrick J. Results of treatment of carcinoma of the lip. Surgery 1950; 27:321.
20. Wilson JS, Walker EP. Reconstruction of the lower lip. Head Neck Surg 1981; 4:29-44.
21. Baker SR. Risk factors in multiple carcinomas of the lip. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1980; 88:248-251.
22. Zitsch RP III, Park CW, Renner GJ, Rea JL. Outcome analysis for lip carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1995; 113:589-596.
23. Baker SR, Krause CJ. Carcinoma of the lip. Laryngoscope 1980; 90:19-27.
24. Cruse CW, Radocha RF. Squamous cell carcinoma of the lip. Plast Reconstr Surg 1987; 80:787-791.
25. Frierson HF Jr, Cooper PH. Prognostic factors in squamous cell carcinoma of the lower lip. Hum Pathol 1986; 17:346-354.
26. McGregor GI, Davis NL, Hay JH. Impact of cervical lymph node metastases from squamous cell cancer of the lip. Am J Surg 1992; 163:469-471.
27. Bagatin M, Orihovac Z, Mohammed AM. Perineural invasion by carcinoma of the lower lip. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 1995; 23:155-159.
28. Teichgraeber JF, Larson DL. Some oncologic considerations in the treatment of lip cancer. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1988; 98:589-592.
29. Bloom ND, Spiro RH. Carcinoma of the cheek mucosa. A retrospective analysis. Am J Surg 1980; 140:556-559.
30. Sieczka E, Datta R, Singh A, Loree T, Rigual N, Orner J, Hicks W Jr. Cancer of the buccal mucosa: are margins and T-stage accurate predictors of local control? Am J Otolaryngol 2001; 22:395-399.
31. Rao DN, Ganesh B, Rao RS, Desai PB. Risk assessment of tobacco, alcohol and diet in oral cancer-a case-control study. Int J Cancer 1994; 58:469-473.
32. Martin H, Pflueger O. Cancer of the cheek (buccal mucosa). Study of 99 cases with results of treatment at the end of five years. Arch Surg 1935; 30:731-747.
33. Brown R, Suh J, Scarborough J. Snuff Dippers intra-oral cancer: clinical characteristics and response to therapy. Cancer 1965; 18:2-13.
34. Rosenfeld L, Callaway J. Snuff Dipper's cancer. Am J Surg 1963; 106:840-844.
35. Urist MM, O'Brien CJ, Soong SJ, Visscher DW, Maddox WA. Squamous cell carcinoma of the buccal mucosa: analysis of prognostic factors. Am J Surg 1987; 154:411-414.
36. Slootweg PJ, Richardson M. Squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive system. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2001.
37. Krolls SO, Hoffman S. Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral soft tissues: a statistical analysis of 14,253 cases by age, sex, and race of patients. J Am Dent Assoc 1976; 92: 571-574.
38. Martin H. Cancer of the Head and Neck. J Am Med Assoc 1948; 137:1306-1315, 13661376.
39. Gilbert S, Tzadik A, Leonard G. Mandibular involvement by oral squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope 1986; 96:96-101.
40. McGregor AD, MacDonald DG. Patterns of spread of squamous cell carcinoma within the mandible. Head Neck 1989; 11:457-461.
41. McGregor AD, MacDonald DG. Routes of entry of squamous cell carcinoma to the mandible. Head Neck Surg 1988; 10:294-301.
42. Slootweg PJ, Muller H. Mandibular invasion by oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Cranio-maxillofac Surg 1989; 17:69-74.
43. Wong RJ, Keel SB, Glynn RJ, Varvares MA. Histological pattern of mandibular invasion by oral squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope 2000; 110:65-72.
44. Byers RM, Anderson B, Schwarz EA, Fields RS, Meoz R. Treatment of squamous carcinoma of the retromolar trigone. Am J Clin Oncol 1984; 7:647-652.
45. Lo K, Fletcher GH, Byers RM, Fields RS, Peters LJ, Oswald MJ. Results of irradiation in the squamous cell carcinomas of the anterior faucial pillar-retromolar trigone. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1987; 13:969-974.
46. Kowalski LP, Hashimoto I, Magrin J. End results of 114 extended "commando" operations for retromolar trigone carcinoma. Am J Surg 1993; 166:374-379.
47. Fletcher GH, Lindberg RD. Squamous cell carcinomas of the tonsillar area and palatine arch. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1966; 96:574-587.
48. Skolnik EM, Campbell JM, Meyers RM. Carcinoma of the buccal mucosa and retromolar area. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 1972; 5:327-331.
49. Shumrick DA, Quenelle DJ. Malignant disease of the tonsillar region, retromolar trigone, and buccal mucosa. Otolaryngol Clin N Am 1979; 12:115-124.
50. Brennan CT, Sessions DG, Spitznagel EL Jr, Harvey JE. Surgical pathology of cancer of the oral cavity and oropharynx. Laryngoscope 1991; 101:1175-1197.
51. Ballard BR, Suess GR, Pickren JW, Greene GW Jr, Shedd DP. Squamous-cell carcinoma of the floor of the mouth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1978; 45:568-579.
52. Mashberg A. Diagnosis of early oral and oropharyngeal squamous carcinoma: obstacles and their amelioration. Oral Oncol 2000; 36:253-255.
53. Nason RW, Sako K, Beecroft WA, Razack MS, Bakamjian VY, Shedd DP. Surgical management of squamous cell carcinoma of the floor of the mouth. Am J Surg 1989; 158:292-296.
54. Woolgar JA, Scott J. Prediction of cervical lymph node metastasis in squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue/floor of mouth. Head Neck 1995; 17:463-472.
55. Spiro RH, Huvos AG, Wong GY, Spiro JD, Gnecco CA, Strong EW. Predictive value of tumor thickness in squamous carcinoma confined to the tongue and floor of the mouth. Am J Surg 1986; 152:345-350.
56. Shingaki S, Suzuki I, Nakajima T, Kawasaki T. Evaluation of histopathologic parameters in predicting cervical lymph node metastasis of oral and oropharyngeal carcinomas. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1988; 66:683-688.
57. Mohit-Tabatabai MA, Sobel HJ, Rush BF, Mashberg A. Relation of thickness of floor of mouth stage I and II cancers to regional metastasis. Am J Surg 1986; 152:351-353.
58. Brown B, Barnes L, Mazariegos J, Taylor F, Johnson J, Wagner RL. Prognostic factors in mobile tongue and floor of mouth carcinoma. Cancer 1989; 64:1195-1202.
59. Hicks WL Jr, Loree TR, Garcia RI, Maamoun S, Marshall D, Orner JB, Bakamjian VY, Shedd DP. Squamous cell carcinoma of the floor of mouth: a 20-year review. Head Neck 1997; 19:400-405.
60. van Es RJ, van Nieuw Amerongen N, Slootweg PJ, Egyedi P. Resection margin as a predictor of recurrence at the primary site for T1 and T2 oral cancers. Evaluation of histopathologic variables. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1996; 122:521-525.
61. Weijers M, Snow GB, Bezemer PD, van der Wal JE, van der Waal I. The clinical relevance of epithelial dysplasia in the surgical margins of tongue and floor of mouth squamous cell carcinoma: an analysis of 37 patients. J Oral Pathol Med 2002; 31: 11-15.
62. Carter RL, Tanner NS, Clifford P, Shaw HJ. Perineural spread in squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck: a clinicopathological study. Clin Otolaryngol 1979; 4:271-281.
63. Spiro RH, Strong EW. Surgical treatment of cancer of the tongue. Surg Clin N Am 1974; 54:759-765.
64. Yuen AP, Lam KY, Wei WI, Ho CM, Chow TL, Yuen WF. A comparison of the prognostic significance of tumor diameter, length, width, thickness, area, volume, and clinicopathological features of oral tongue carcinoma. Am J Surg 2000; 180:139-143.
65. Asakage T, Yokose T, Mukai K, Tsugane S, Tsubono Y, Asai M, Ebihara S. Tumor thickness predicts cervical metastasis in patients with stage I/II carcinoma of the tongue. Cancer 1998; 82:1443-1448.
66. Morton RP, Ferguson CM, Lambie NK, Whitlock RM. Tumor thickness in early tongue cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1994; 120:717-720.
67. Myers JN, Elkins T, Roberts D, Byers RM. Squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue in young adults: increasing incidence and factors that predict treatment outcomes. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000; 122:44-51.
68. Petruzzelli GJ, Myers EN. Malignant neoplasms of the hard palate and upper alveolar ridge. Oncology (Huntingt) 1994; 8:43-48; discussion 50, 53.
69. Anderson JN Jr, Beenken SW, Crowe R, Soong SJ, Peters G, Maddox WA, Urist MM. Prognostic factors in minor salivary gland cancer. Head Neck 1995; 17:480-486.
70. Vander Poorten VL, Balm AJ, Hilgers FJ, Tan IB, Keus RB, Hart AA. Stage as major long term outcome predictor in minor salivary gland carcinoma. Cancer 2000; 89: 1195-1204.
71. Ellis GL, Auclair PL. Tumors of the Salivary Glands, Atlas Pathology, Third Series, Fascicle 17. Washington DC: Armed Forced Institute of Pathology, 1996.
72. Chau MN, Radden BG. A clinical-pathological study of 53 intra-oral pleomorphic adenomas. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1989; 18:158-162.
73. Gnepp DR. Malignant mixed tumors of the salivary glands: a review. Pathol Annu 1993; 28(Pt 1):279-328.
74. Brandwein M, Huvos AG, Dardick I, Thomas MJ, Theise ND. Noninvasive and minimally invasive carcinoma ex mixed tumor: a clinicopathologic and ploidy study of 12 patients with major salivary tumors of low (or no?) malignant potential. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1996; 81:655-664.
75. Auclair PL, Goode RK, Ellis GL. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of intraoral salivary glands. Evaluation and application of grading criteria in 143 cases. Cancer 1992; 69:2021-2030.
76. Hanna DC, Clairmont AA. Submandibular gland tumors. Plast Reconstr Surg 1978; 61:198-203.
77. Xie X, Nordgard S, Halvorsen TB, Franzen G, Boysen M. Prognostic significance of nucleolar organizer regions in adenoid cystic carcinomas of the head and neck. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 123:615-620.
78. Szanto PA, Luna MA, Tortoledo ME, White RA. Histologic grading of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands. Cancer 1984; 54:1062-1069.
79. Hamper K, Lazar F, Dietel M, Caselitz J, Berger J, Arps H, Falkmer U, Auer G, Seifert G. Prognostic factors for adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a retrospective evaluation of 96 cases. J Oral Pathol Med 1990; 19:101-107.
80. Batsakis JG, Luna MA, el-Naggar A. Histopathologic grading of salivary gland neoplasms: III. Adenoid cystic carcinomas. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1990; 99:1007-1009.
81. Spiro RH, Huvos AG. Stage means more than grade in adenoid cystic carcinoma. Am J Surg 1992; 164:623-628.
82. Evans HL, Batsakis JG. Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma of minor salivary glands. A study of 14 cases of a distinctive neoplasm. Cancer 1984; 53:935-942.
83. Rajentheran R, McLean NR, Kelly CG, Reed MF, Nolan A. Malignant transformation of oral lichen planus. Eur J Surg Oncol 1999; 25:520-523.
84. Scully C, Beyli M, Ferreiro MC, Ficarra G, Gill Y, Griffiths M, Holmstrup P, Mutlu S, Porter S, Wray D. Update on oral lichen planus: etiopathogenesis and management. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1998; 9:86-122.
85. Holmstrup P. The controversy of a premalignant potential of oral lichen planus is over. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1992; 73:704-706.
86. Duffey DC, Eversole LR, Abemayor E. Oral lichen planus and its association with squamous cell carcinoma: an update on pathogenesis and treatment implications. Laryngoscope 1996; 106:357-362.
87. Marx RE. Osteoradionecrosis: a new concept of its pathophysiology. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1983; 41:283-288.
88. Koka VN, Deo R, Lusinchi A, Roland J, Schwaab G. Osteoradionecrosis of the mandible: study of 104 cases treated by hemimandibulectomy. J Laryngol Otol 1990; 104:305-307.
89. Curi MM, Dib LL. Osteoradionecrosis of the jaws: a retrospective study of the background factors and treatment in 104 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997; 55:540544; discussion 545-546.
90. Hicks MJ, Flaitz CM. Oral mucosal melanoma: epidemiology and pathobiology. Oral Oncol 2000; 36:152-169.
91. Patel SG, Prasad ML, Escrig M, Singh B, Shaha AR, Kraus DH, Boyle JO, Huvos AG, Busam K, Shah JP. Primary mucosal malignant melanoma of the head and neck. Head Neck 2002; 24:247-257.
92. El-Mofty S, Kyriakos M. Soft tissue and bone lesions. In: Gnepp DR, ed. Diagnostic Surgical Pathology of the Head and Neck. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2001:505-604.
93. Hill DA, O'Sullivan MJ, Zhu X, Vollmer RT, Humphrey PA, Dehner LP, Pfeifer JD. Practical application of molecular genetic testing as an aid to the surgical pathologic diagnosis of sarcomas: a prospective study. Am J Surg Pathol 2002; 26:965-977.
94. Oda D, Bavisotto LM, Schmidt RA, McNutt M, Bruckner JD, Conrad EU III, Weymuller EA Jr. Head and neck osteosarcoma at the University of Washington. Head Neck 1997; 19:513-523.
95. Garrington GE, Scofield HH, Cornyn J, Hooker SP. Osteosarcoma of the jaws. Analysis of 56 cases. Cancer 1967; 20:377-391.
96. Batsakis JG. Surgical excision margins: a pathologist's perspective. Adv Anat Pathol 1999; 6:140-148.
Was this article helpful?
Learning About 10 Ways Fight Off Cancer Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life The Best Tips On How To Keep This Killer At Bay Discovering that you or a loved one has cancer can be utterly terrifying. All the same, once you comprehend the causes of cancer and learn how to reverse those causes, you or your loved one may have more than a fighting chance of beating out cancer.