The risk factors are as follows:
• Delay in wound closure exceeding 24 (36) h [7, 18].
• Injury with soil contamination, whether this happened on a farm or in the home garden.2
• Even indirect contact with soil represents an increased risk: open globe trauma caused by barbed wire has been reported to involve a 38% endophthalmitis incidence .
2 The term "rural setting" is misleading since soil contamination may occur in urban settings as well.
• Presence of an IOFB (see Chap. 2.13), especially if it is of organic matter.
• Lens injury , especially if associated with older age [18, 19].
Was this article helpful?