1. Hatano S. Experience from a multicentre stroke register: a preliminary report. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 1976, 54:541-553.
2. Poungvarin N. Stroke in the developing world. Lancet, 1998, 352(Suppl. 3): 19-22.
3. Warlow C et al. Stroke. Lancet, 2003, 362:1211-1224.
5. Mackay J, Mensah GA. The atlas of heart disease and stroke. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2004.
6. WHO CVD-risk management package for low- and medium-resource settings. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2002.
7. Feigin VL et al. Stroke epidemiology: a review of population-based studies of incidence, prevalence, and case-fatality in the late 20th century. Lancet Neurology, 2003, 2:43-53.
8. Thorvaldsen P et al. Stroke trends in the WHO MONICA project. Stroke, 1997, 28:500-506.
9. Sarti C et al. International trends in mortality from stroke, 1968 to 1994. Stroke, 2000, 31:1588-1601.
10. Rothwell PM et al. Changes in stroke incidence, mortality, case-fatality, severity, and risk factors in Oxfordshire, UK from 1981 to 2004 (Oxford Vascular Study). Lancet, 2004, 363:1925-1933.
11. Murray CJL, Lopez AD. Mortality by cause for eight regions of the world: global burden of disease study. Lancet, 1997, 349:1269-1276.
12. The world health report 2004 - Changing history. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2004 (Statistical Annex).
13. Warlow CP. Epidemiology of stroke. Lancet, 1998, 352(Suppl. 3):1-4.
14. Preventingchronicdiseases:a vitalinvestment. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2005.
15. The Stroke Unit Trialists' Collaboration. Organised inpatient (stroke unit) care for stroke (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2002, 1:CD000197.
16. Brott T, Bogousslavsky J. Treatment of acute ischaemic stroke. New England Journal of Medicine, 2000, 343:710-722.
17. Hankey GJ, Warlow CP. Treatment and secondary prevention of stroke: evidence, costs, and effects on individuals and populations. Lancet, 1999, 354:1457-1463.
18. Mendis S et al. WHO study on Prevention of Recurrences of Myocardial Infarction and Stroke (WHO-PREMISE). Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 2005, 83:820-829.
19. Prevention ofrecurrent heartattacks and strokes in low and middle income populations: evidence-based recommendations for policy-makers and health professionals. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2003.
20. Bonita R et al. The Global Stroke Initiative. Lancet Neurology, 2004, 3:391-393.
21. Pendlebury ST et al. Underfunding of stroke research: a Europe-wide problem. Stroke, 2004, 35:2368-2371.
Was this article helpful?