Whiteside TL, Herberman RB. Role of human natural killer cells in health and disease. Clin Diag Lab Immunol 1994; 1:125-33.
Cassatella M, Anegon Al, Cuture MC, Griskey P, Trinchieri G, Perussia B. Fc gamma R (CD 16) interaction with ligand induces Ca2+ mobilization and phosphoinositide turnover in human natural killer cells. Role of Ca2+ in Fc gamma R (CD 16) induced transcription and expression of lymphokine genes J Exp Med 1980; 169:549-67. Sulica A, Galatiuc C, Manciulea M, Bancu C, DeLeo A, Whiteside TL, Herberman RB. Regulation of human natural cytotoxicity by IgG. IV. Association between binding of monomeric IgG to the Fc receptors on large granular lymphocytes and inhibition of natural killer (NK) cell activity. Cell Immunol 1993; 147:397^110.
Robertson MJ, Caligiuri MA, Manley TJ, Levine H, Ritz J. Human natural killer cell adhesion molecules: differential expression after activation and participation in cytolysis J Immunol 1990;145:3194-201.
Haller O, Kiessling R, Orn A, Wigzell H. Generation of natural killer cells: an autonomous function of the bone marrow. J Exp Med 1977:145:1411-6.
Whiteside TL, Herberman RB. Characteristics of natural killer cells and lymphokine-activated killer cells. Their role in the biology and treatment of human cancer. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 1990;10:663-704.
Whiteside TL, Jost LM, Herberman RB. Extravasation of antitumor effector cells. Invasion Metastasis 1992:12:128^16.
Herberman RB. Possible role of natural killer cells in host resistance against tumours and other diseases. In: Herberman RB. editor Clinics in Immunology and Allergy Eastbourne: WB Saunders Co Ltd, 1983;479-94.
Riccardi C, Puccetti P. Santoni A, Herberman RB. Rapid in vivo assay of mouse NK cell activity. J Natl Can Inst. 1979;63:1041-5.
Riccardi C, Santoni A, Barlozzari T, Puccetti P, Herberman RB. In vivo natural reactivity of mice against tumor cells Int J Cancer 1980;25:475-86.
Riccardi C, Barlozzari T, Santoni A, Herberman RB, Cesarini, C. Transfer to cyclophosphamide-treated mice of natural killer (NK) cells and in vivo natural reactivity against tumors. J Immunol 1981; 126:1284-9.
Barlozzari T, Reynolds CW, Herberman RB. In vivo role of natural killer cells: involvement of large granular lumphocytes in the clearance of tumor cells in anti-asialo GM^treated rats. J Immunol. 1983;131:1024-7.
Gorelik E, Herberman RB. Assay for evaluation of in vivo natural cell-mediated resistance of mice to local transplantation of tumour cells Int J Cancer 1981 ;27:709-20. Gorelik E, Fogel M, Feldman M, Segal S. Differences in resistance of metastatic tumor cells and cells from local growth to cytotoxicity of natural killer cells J Natl Cancer Inst 1979;63:1397-404.
Gorelik E, Segal S, Feldman M. Selection of 3LL tumor subline resistant to natural effector cells concomitantly selected for increased metasatic potency. Cancer Immunol Immunother 1982;12:105-9.
Hanna N, Fidler I. Relationship between metastastic potential and resistance to natural killer cell-mediated cytotoxicity in these murine tumor systems J Natl Cancer Inst 1981 ;66: 1183-90.
Gorelik E, Wiltrout RH, Okumura K. Habu S, Herberman RB. Role of NK cells in the control of metastatic spread and growth of tumor cells in mice Int J Cancer 1982;30: 107-12.
Barlozzari T, Lenhardt J, Wiltrout R, Herberman RB, Reynolds CW. Direct evidence for the role of LGL in the inhibition of experimental tumor metastases. J Immunol 1985;134: 2783-9.
Barlozzari T, Reynolds CW, Herberman RB. In vivo role of natural killer cells; involvement of large granular lymphocytes in the clearance of tumor cells in anti-asialo GM1-treated rats J Immunol 1983;131:1024-7.
Pross HF, Lotzova E. Role of natural killer cells in cancer. Nat Immunity 1993; 12:27992.
Schantz SP, Goephert H. Multimodality therapy and distant metastases. The impact of natural killer cell activity. Arch Otolaryng - Head Neck Surg. 1987;113:1207-13. Roder JC, Lohmann-Matthes M-L, Domzig W, Wigzell H. The beige mutation in the mouse. II. Selectivity of the natural killer (NK) cell defect J Immunol 1979;123:2174-81. Roder JC, Duwe A. The beige mutation in the mouse selectively impairs natural killer cell function Nature 1979;278:451-3.
Brunda MJ, Holden HT, Herberman RB. Augmentation of natural killer cell activity of beige mice by interferon and interferon inducers. In:Herberman RB editor. Natural CellMediated Immunity Against Tumors. New York:Academic Press 1980;411-5. Haliotis T, Roder J, Texter D. Evidence for in vivo NK reactivity against primary tumors. In: Herberman RB editor. NK Cells and Other Natural Effector Cells. New York: Academic Press, 1982; 1399-404.
Sullivan JL, Byron KS, Brewster FE, Purtilo DT. Deficient natural killer cell activity in X-linked lymphoproliferative syndrome Science 1980;210:543-45. Masucci MG, Bejarano MT, Vanky F, Klein E. Cytotoxic and cytostatic activity of human large granular lymphocytes against allogeneic tumor biopsy cells and autologous EBV infected B lymphocytes. In Herberman RB editor. NK Cells and Other Natural Effector Cells. New York:Academic Press, 1982; 1047-54.
Lipinski M, Tursz T, Kreis H, Finale Y, Amiel JL. Dissociation of natural killer cell activity and antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity in kidney allograft recipients receiving high-dose immunosuppressive therapy. Transplantation 1980;29:214-8.
Yoda Y, Abe T, Mitamura K Saito K, Kawada K, Onozawa Y, et al. Deficient natural killer (NK) cell activity in paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria (PNH) Br J Haemotol
Imai K, Matsuyama S, Miyake S, Suga K, Nakachi K. Natural cytotoxic activity of peripheral-blood lymphocytes and cancer incidence: an 11-year follow-up study of a general population. Lancet 2000;356:1795-9.
Welsh RM. Regulation of virus infections by natural killer cells Nat Immun Cell Growth Reg 1986;5:160-99.
Bloom BR, Minato N, Neighbour A, Reid L, Marcus D. Interferon and NK cells in resistance to virus persistently infected cells and tumors. In:Herberman, RB, editor. Natural Cell Mediated Immunity Against Tumors. New York:Academic Press, 1980;505-24 Santoli D, Perussia B, Trinchieri G. Natural killer cell activity against virus-infected cells. In:Herberman, RB, editor. Natural Cell-Mediated Immunity Against Tumors New York: Academic Press, 1980;ppl 171-9.
Lopez C. Genetic resistance to herpesvirus infections: role of natural killer cells. In: Skamene E, Kongshav PAL, Landy M. editors. Genetic Control of Natural Resistance to Infection and Malignancy. New York:Academic Press, 1980;253-65. Lopez C, Kirkpatrick D, Fitzgerald P. The role of NK(HSV-1) effector cells in resistance to herpesvirus infections in man. In:Herberman, RB, editor. NK Cells and Other Natural Effector Cells. New York:Academic Press, 1982; 1445-50.
Shellam GR, Grundy JE, Allan JE. The role of natural killer cells and interferon in resistance to murine cytomegalovirus. In:Herberman, RB, editor. NK Cells and Other Natural Effector Cells. New York:Academic Press, 1982; 1451-8.
Ruebush MJ, Burgess DE. Induction of natural killer cells and interferon production during infection of mice with Babesia microti of human origin. In: Herberman, RB, editor. NK Cells and Other Natural Effector Cells. New York:Academic Press, 1982; 1483-9. Hatcher FM, Kuhn RE. Natural killer (NK) cell activity against extracellular forms of Trypanosoma cruzi. In: Herberman, RB, editor. NK Cells and Other Natural Effector Cells. New York:Academic Press, 1982; 1091-7.
71. Djeu JY, Blanchard DK. Regulation of human polymorphonuclear neutriphil (PMN) activity against Candida albicans by large granular lymphocytes via release of a PMN-activating factor J Immunol 1987; 139:2761-2.
72. Murphy WJ, Reynolds CW, Tiberghien P, Longo DL. Natural killer cells and bone marrow transplantation J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:1475-82.
73. Henney CS, Kuribayashi K, Kern DE, Gillis S. Interleukin 2 augments natural killer cell activity. Nature 1981;291:335-8.
74. Hoofnagle JH, Peters M, Mullen KD et al. Randomized controlled trial of recombinant human alpha interferon in patients with chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology 1988;95: 1318-25.
75. McMahon DK, Armstrong JA, Huang XL, Rinaldo Jr. CA, Gupta P, Whiteside TL, et al. A phase I study of subcutaneous recombinant IL-2 in patients with advanced HIV disease while on zidovudine. AIDS 1994;8:58-66.
76. Kirkwood JM, Ernstoff MS. Interferons in the treatment of human cancer. J Clin Oncol 1984;2:336-52.
77. Rosenberg SA, Lotze MT, Yang JC, Aebersold PM, Linehan WM, Seipp CA, et al. Experience with the use of high-dose interleukin-2 in the treatment of 652 cancer patients. Ann Surg 1989;210:474-85.
78. Caligiuri MA, Murray C, Robertson MJ, Wang E, Cochran K, Cameron C, et al. Selective modulation of human natural killer cells in vivo after prolonged infusion of low dose recombinant interleukin-2. J Clin Invest 1993;91:123-32..
79. Rosenberg SA, Lotze MT, Muul LM, Chang AE, Avis FP, Leitman S, et al. A progress report on the treatment of 157 patients with advanced cancer using lymphokine-activated killer cells and interleukin-2 or high-dose interleukin-2 along. N Engl J Med 1987;316: 889-97.
80. Hercend T, Farace F, Baume D, Charpentier F, Droz JP, Triebel F, et al. Immunotherapy with lymphokine-activated natural killer cells and recombinant interleukin-2: a feasibility trial in metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Biol Response Modif 1990;9:546-55.
81. Whiteside TL, Herberman RB. The biology of human natural killer cells. Ann Ital Inst Health 1990;26:335^18.
82. Lister J, Pincus SM, Elder EM, Whiteside TL, Rybka WB, Donnenberg AD. Adoptive immunotherapy during peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) transplantation: amplification of natural killer cell function early after transplantation. J Immunol 1993;150:218A.
Edited by L. Bertök and D.A. Chow © 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved
Was this article helpful?
Not Able To Lead A Happy Life Because Of Excessive Allergies? Want To Badly Get Rid Of Your Allergy Problems, But Are Super Confused And Not Sure Where To Even Start? Don't Worry, Help Is Just Around The Corner Revealed The All-In-One Power Packed Manual Containing Ample Strategies And Little-Known Tips To Get Rid Of Any Allergy Problems That Are Ruining Your Life Learn How You Can Eliminate Allergies Completely Reclaim Your Life Once Again