Paracetamol poisoning

Serious, life-threatening toxicity is likely after ingestion of >15g paracetamol, particularly with co-ingestion of enzyme-inducing drugs (e.g. anticonvulsants, anti-TB therapy) and/or alcohol.

Paracetamol is rapidly absorbed from the stomach and upper small bowel and is metabolised by conjugation in the liver. Hepatic necrosis occurs due to the toxicity of an alkylating metabolite that is normally removed by conjugation with glutathione; glutathione is rapidly depleted with overdose and may already be low in starvation, alcoholics and, possibly, HIV disease, thus predisposing these groups to an increased risk of toxicity.

Toxicity is usually asymptomatic for 1-2 days although laboratory assessment of liver function may become abnormal after 18h.

Hepatic failure, if manifest, develops after 2-7 days, an earlier onset being associated with more severe toxicity.

Booze Basher

Booze Basher

Get All The Support And Guidance You Need To Permanently STOP The Battle With Alcohol Once And For All. This Book Is One Of The Most Valuable Resources In The World When It Comes To Transformational Tools For Battling Booze Binges And Staying Alcohol-Free.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment