The goals of the first year of residency are integrative and introductory—specifically to provide a foundation, adequate for psychiatrists, in internal medicine and neurology and also to provide an initiation to the essentials of psychiatric practice through supervised responsibility for assessing and treating a diverse population of psychiatric inpatients.
Thus we expect that by the end of this year residents will have an adequate initiatory knowledge of:
• internal medicine and neurology;
• methods of patient assessment and formulation;
• different categories of psychiatric patients and the categorical implications for treatment and prognosis (e.g. DSM-IV diagnoses and the perspective concept);
• the milieu concept of inpatient psychiatric service;
• the responsibilities of the other mental health practitioners integrated in team treatment of patients—the nurse, social worker, psychologist, occupational the rapist, case manager, addiction counsellor, etc.;
• the several treatment modalities—psychological, pharmacological, physical, and rehabilitative—employed with psychiatric patients.
Was this article helpful?
You are about to discover the "little-known" techniques, tricks and "mind tools" that will show you how to easily "program" your body and mind to produce an instant, rock-hard erection. Learn how to enjoy all of the control, confidence and satisfaction that comes from knowing you can always "rise to the challenge" ... and never have to deal with embarrassment, apologies, shyness or performance anxiety in the bedroom, ever again.