1. World Health Organization (1995). Wor/d hea/th statistics annual. World Health Organization, Geneva.
2. De Leo, D. (1997). Suicide in late life at the end of the 1990s: a less neglected topic? Crisis, 18, 51-2.
3. Skoog, I., Aevarsson, O., Beskow, J., et a/. (1996). Suicidal feelings in a population sample of non-demented 85-year-olds. American Journa/ of Psychiatry, 153, 1015-20.
4. Forsell, Y., Jorm, A.F., and Winblad, B. (1997). Suicidal thoughts and associated factors in an elderly population. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 95, 108-11.
5. Rao, R., Dening, T., Brayne, C., and Huppert, F.A. (1997). Suicidal thinking in community residents over 80. Internationa/ Journa/ of Geriatric Psychiatry, 12, 337-43.
6. Simon, R.I. (1989). Silent suicide in the elderly. Bu//etin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law, 17, 83-95.
7. Osgood, N.J. and Brant, B.A. (1990). Suicidal behavior in long-term care facilities. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, 20, 113-22.
8. Bean, P. (1973). Accidental and intentional self poisoning in the over 60 age group. Geronto/ogia C/inica Base, 15, 259-67.
9. Draper, B. (1996). Attempted suicide in old age (editorial review). Internationa/ Journa/ of Geriatric Psychiatry, 11, 577-87.
10. De Leo, D. (1994). Parasuicide in the elderly: results from the WHO/EURO multicentre study, 1989-1991—a short report. IPA Bu//etin (Bu//etin of the Internationa/ Psychogeriatric Association), 11, 15-17.
11. Chiu, H.F., Lam, L.C., Pang, A.H., Leung, C.M., and Wong, C.K. (1996). Attempted suicide by Chinese elderly in Hong Kong. Genera/ Hospita/ Psychiatry, 18, 444-7.
12. Merrill, J. and Owens, J. (1990). Age and attempted suicide. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 82, 385-8.
13. Rifai, A.H., George, C.J., Stack, J.A., Mann, J.J., and Reynolds, C.F., III (1994). Hopelessness in suicide attempters after acute treatment of major depression in late life. American Journa/ of Psychiatry, 151, 1687-90.
14. Pierce, D. (1987). Deliberate self-harm in the elderly. Internationa/ Journa/ of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2, 105-10.
15. Draper, B. (1994). Suicidal behaviour in the elderly. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 9, 655-61:
16. Lyness, J.M., Conwell, Y., and Nelson, J.C. (1992). Suicide attempts in elderly psychiatric inpatients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 40, 320-4.
17. Nowers, M. (1993). Deliberate self-harm in the elderly: a survey of one London borough. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 8, 609-14.
18. Hepple, J. and Quinton, C. (1997). One hundred cases of attempted suicide in the elderly. British Journal of Psychiatry, 171, 42-6.
19. Hawton, K. and Fagg, J. (1992). Trends in deliberate self poisoning and self injury in Oxford, 1976-90. British Medical Journal, 304(6839), 1409-11.
20. Dennis, M.S. and Lindesay, J. (1995). Suicide in the elderly: the United Kingdom perspective. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 263-74.
21. Pritchard, C. (1996). New patterns of suicide by age and gender in the United Kingdom and the Western world 1974-1992; an indicator of social change? Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 31, 227-34.
22. Lindesay, J. (1986). Trends in self-poisoning in the elderly 1974-1983. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 1, 37-43.
23. Bharucha, A.J. and Satlin, A. (1997). Late-life suicide: a review. Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 5, 55-65.
24. Burvill, P.W: (1995): Suicide in the multiethnic elderly population of Australia, 1979-1990. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 319-33.
25. Kaplan, M.S., Adamek, M.E., and Geling, O. (1996). Sociodemographic predictors of firearm suicide among older white males. Gerontologist, 36, 530-3.
26. Cattell, H.R. (1988). Elderly suicide in London: an analysis of coroners' inquests. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 3, 251-61.
27. Lindesay, J. (1991). Suicide in the elderly. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 6, 355-61.
28. Cattell, H. and Jolley, D.J. (1995). One hundred cases of suicide in elderly people. British Journal of Psychiatry, 166, 451-7.
29. Watanabe, N., Hasegawa, K., and Yoshinaga, Y. (1995). Suicide in later life in Japan: urban and rural differences. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 253-61.
30. Yip, P:S: (1998): Suicides in Hong Kong and Australia. Crisis, 19, 24-34.
31. Ganesvaran, T., Subramaniam, S., and Mahadevan, K. (1984). Suicide in a northern town of Sri Lanka. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 69, 420-5.
32. Brown, M. and Barraclough, B. (1997). Epidemiology of suicide pacts in England and Wales, 1988-92. British Medical Journal, 315, 286-7.
33. Conwell, Y., Duberstein, P.R., Cox, C., Herrmann, J.H., Forbes, N.T., and Caine, E.D. (1996). Relationships of age and Axis I diagnoses in victims of completed suicide: a psychological autopsy study. American Journal of Psychiatry, 153, 1001-8.
34. Conwell, Y. (1997). Management of suicidal behavior in the elderly. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 20, 667-83.
35. Caine, E.D., Lyness, J.W., and Conwell, Y. (1996). Diagnosis of late-life depression: preliminary studies in primary care settings. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 4, 545-50.
36. Rohde, K., Peskind, E.R., and Raskind, M.A. (1995). Suicide in two patients with Alzheimer's disease. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 43, 187-9.
37. Duberstein, P.R., Conwell, Y., and Caine, E.D. (1994). Age differences in the personality characteristics of suicide completers: preliminary findings from a psychological autopsy study. Psychiatry, 57, 213-24.
38. Carney, S.S., Rich, C.L., Burke, P.A., and Fowler, R.C. (1994). Suicide over 60: the San Diego study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 42, 174-80.
39. Conwell, Y., Rotenberg, M., and Caine, E.D. (1990). Completed suicide at age 50 and over. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 38, 640-4.
40. Heikkinen, M.E. and Lonnqvist, J.K. (1995). Recent life events in elderly suicide: a nationwide study in Finland. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 287-300.
Was this article helpful?