1. World Health Organization (1995). Wor/d hea/th statistics annual. World Health Organization, Geneva.
2. De Leo, D. (1997). Suicide in late life at the end of the 1990s: a less neglected topic? Crisis, 18, 51-2.
3. Skoog, I., Aevarsson, O., Beskow, J., et a/. (1996). Suicidal feelings in a population sample of non-demented 85-year-olds. American Journa/ of Psychiatry, 153, 1015-20.
4. Forsell, Y., Jorm, A.F., and Winblad, B. (1997). Suicidal thoughts and associated factors in an elderly population. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 95, 108-11.
5. Rao, R., Dening, T., Brayne, C., and Huppert, F.A. (1997). Suicidal thinking in community residents over 80. Internationa/ Journa/ of Geriatric Psychiatry, 12, 337-43.
6. Simon, R.I. (1989). Silent suicide in the elderly. Bu//etin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law, 17, 83-95.
7. Osgood, N.J. and Brant, B.A. (1990). Suicidal behavior in long-term care facilities. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, 20, 113-22.
8. Bean, P. (1973). Accidental and intentional self poisoning in the over 60 age group. Geronto/ogia C/inica Base, 15, 259-67.
9. Draper, B. (1996). Attempted suicide in old age (editorial review). Internationa/ Journa/ of Geriatric Psychiatry, 11, 577-87.
10. De Leo, D. (1994). Parasuicide in the elderly: results from the WHO/EURO multicentre study, 1989-1991—a short report. IPA Bu//etin (Bu//etin of the Internationa/ Psychogeriatric Association), 11, 15-17.
11. Chiu, H.F., Lam, L.C., Pang, A.H., Leung, C.M., and Wong, C.K. (1996). Attempted suicide by Chinese elderly in Hong Kong. Genera/ Hospita/ Psychiatry, 18, 444-7.
12. Merrill, J. and Owens, J. (1990). Age and attempted suicide. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 82, 385-8.
13. Rifai, A.H., George, C.J., Stack, J.A., Mann, J.J., and Reynolds, C.F., III (1994). Hopelessness in suicide attempters after acute treatment of major depression in late life. American Journa/ of Psychiatry, 151, 1687-90.
14. Pierce, D. (1987). Deliberate self-harm in the elderly. Internationa/ Journa/ of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2, 105-10.
15. Draper, B. (1994). Suicidal behaviour in the elderly. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 9, 655-61:
16. Lyness, J.M., Conwell, Y., and Nelson, J.C. (1992). Suicide attempts in elderly psychiatric inpatients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 40, 320-4.
17. Nowers, M. (1993). Deliberate self-harm in the elderly: a survey of one London borough. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 8, 609-14.
18. Hepple, J. and Quinton, C. (1997). One hundred cases of attempted suicide in the elderly. British Journal of Psychiatry, 171, 42-6.
19. Hawton, K. and Fagg, J. (1992). Trends in deliberate self poisoning and self injury in Oxford, 1976-90. British Medical Journal, 304(6839), 1409-11.
20. Dennis, M.S. and Lindesay, J. (1995). Suicide in the elderly: the United Kingdom perspective. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 263-74.
21. Pritchard, C. (1996). New patterns of suicide by age and gender in the United Kingdom and the Western world 1974-1992; an indicator of social change? Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 31, 227-34.
22. Lindesay, J. (1986). Trends in self-poisoning in the elderly 1974-1983. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 1, 37-43.
23. Bharucha, A.J. and Satlin, A. (1997). Late-life suicide: a review. Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 5, 55-65.
24. Burvill, P.W: (1995): Suicide in the multiethnic elderly population of Australia, 1979-1990. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 319-33.
25. Kaplan, M.S., Adamek, M.E., and Geling, O. (1996). Sociodemographic predictors of firearm suicide among older white males. Gerontologist, 36, 530-3.
26. Cattell, H.R. (1988). Elderly suicide in London: an analysis of coroners' inquests. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 3, 251-61.
27. Lindesay, J. (1991). Suicide in the elderly. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 6, 355-61.
28. Cattell, H. and Jolley, D.J. (1995). One hundred cases of suicide in elderly people. British Journal of Psychiatry, 166, 451-7.
29. Watanabe, N., Hasegawa, K., and Yoshinaga, Y. (1995). Suicide in later life in Japan: urban and rural differences. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 253-61.
30. Yip, P:S: (1998): Suicides in Hong Kong and Australia. Crisis, 19, 24-34.
31. Ganesvaran, T., Subramaniam, S., and Mahadevan, K. (1984). Suicide in a northern town of Sri Lanka. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 69, 420-5.
32. Brown, M. and Barraclough, B. (1997). Epidemiology of suicide pacts in England and Wales, 1988-92. British Medical Journal, 315, 286-7.
33. Conwell, Y., Duberstein, P.R., Cox, C., Herrmann, J.H., Forbes, N.T., and Caine, E.D. (1996). Relationships of age and Axis I diagnoses in victims of completed suicide: a psychological autopsy study. American Journal of Psychiatry, 153, 1001-8.
34. Conwell, Y. (1997). Management of suicidal behavior in the elderly. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 20, 667-83.
35. Caine, E.D., Lyness, J.W., and Conwell, Y. (1996). Diagnosis of late-life depression: preliminary studies in primary care settings. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 4, 545-50.
36. Rohde, K., Peskind, E.R., and Raskind, M.A. (1995). Suicide in two patients with Alzheimer's disease. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 43, 187-9.
37. Duberstein, P.R., Conwell, Y., and Caine, E.D. (1994). Age differences in the personality characteristics of suicide completers: preliminary findings from a psychological autopsy study. Psychiatry, 57, 213-24.
38. Carney, S.S., Rich, C.L., Burke, P.A., and Fowler, R.C. (1994). Suicide over 60: the San Diego study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 42, 174-80.
39. Conwell, Y., Rotenberg, M., and Caine, E.D. (1990). Completed suicide at age 50 and over. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 38, 640-4.
40. Heikkinen, M.E. and Lonnqvist, J.K. (1995). Recent life events in elderly suicide: a nationwide study in Finland. International Psychogeriatrics, 7, 287-300.
Was this article helpful?
Have you recently experienced hearing loss? Most probably you need hearing aids, but don't know much about them. To learn everything you need to know about hearing aids, read the eBook, Hearing Aids Inside Out. The book comprises 113 pages of excellent content utterly free of technical jargon, written in simple language, and in a flowing style that can easily be read and understood by all.