1. Caplan, G. (1964). Principles of preventive psychiatry. Basic Books, New York.
2. Cole, W., Turgay, A., and Mouldey, G. (1991). Repeated use of psychiatric emergency services by children. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 36, 739-42.
3. Peterson, B., Zhang, H., Santa Lucia, R., King, R., and Lewis, M. (1996). Risk factors for presenting problems in child psychiatric emergencies. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 35, 1162-73.
4. Yung, A., McGorry, P., McFarlane, C., Jackson, H., Patton, G., and Rakkar, A. (1966). Monitoring and care of young people at incipient risk of psychosis. Schizophrenic Bulletin, 22, 283-303.
5. Kafantaris, V. (1996). Diagnostic issues in childhood psychosis. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 9, 247-50.
6. Shaffer, D. and Piacentini, J. (1994). Suicide and attempted suicide. In Child and adolescent psychiatry, modern approaches (3rd edn) (ed. M. Rutter, E. Taylor, and L. Hersov), pp. 407-24. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
7. Masters, K. (1995). Using a coordinated treatment system to minimise child psychiatric hospitalisation. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 36, 566-8.
8. Wroblewski, B. and Joseph, A. (1992). The use of intramuscular midazolam for acute seizure cessation or behavioural emergencies in patients with traumatic brain injury. Clinical Neuropharmacology, 15, 44-9.
9. Thompson, C. (1994). The use of high-dose antipsychotic medication. British Journal of Psychiatry, 164, 448-58.
10. Outlaw, F. and Lowery, B. (1992). How patients perceive the seclusion process. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, 30, 13-17.
11. Stotland, N. (1997). Refusal of medical treatment: psychiatric emergencies? American Journal of Psychiatry, 154, 106-8.
12. Shulman, D. and Athey, M. (1993). Youth emergency services: total community effort, a multisystem approach. Child Welfare, 72, 171-9.
Was this article helpful?