1. Solstad, K: and Hertoft, P. (1993). Frequency of sexual problems and sexual dysfunction in middle-aged Danish men. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 22, 51-8.
2. Kinsey, A.C., Pomeroy W.B., and Martin, C.E. (1948). Sexual behavior in the human male. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
3. Kinsey, A.C., Pomeroy, W.B., Martin, C.E., and Gerhard, P.H. (1953). Sexual behavior in the human female. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
4. Maslow, A. and Sakoda, J. (1952). Volunteer error in the Kinsey sample. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 47, 259-62.
5. Wellings, R., Field, J., Johnson, A.M., and Wadsworth, J. (1994). Sexual behaviour in Britain. Penguin, Harmondsworth.
6. Janus, S.S. and Janus, C.L. (1993). The Janus report on sexual behavior. Wiley, New York.
7. Osborn, M., Hawton, K., and Gath, D. (1988). Sexual dysfunction among middle aged women in the community. British Medical Journal, 296, 959-62.
8. Hallstrom, T. (1977). Sexuality in the climacteric. Clinics in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 4, 227-39.
9. Hawton, K., Gath, D., and Day, A. (1994). Sexual function in a community sample of middle aged women with partners: effects of age, marital, socio-economic, psychiatric, gynaecological, and menopausal factors. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 23, 375-95.
10. McCoy, N: and Davidson, J. (1985). A longitudinal study of the effects of menopause on sexuality. Maturitas, 7, 203-10.
11. Persson, G. (1990). Sexuality in a 70 year old urban population. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 24, 335-42.
12. Martin, C.E. (1981). Factors affecting sexual functioning in 60-79 year old married males. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 10, 399-420.
13. Vallery-Masson, J., Valleron, A.J., and Poitrenaud. J. (1981). Factors related to intercourse frequency in a group of French pre-retirement managers. Age and Ageing, 10, 53-9.
14. Bretschneider, J. and McCoy, N. (1988). Sexual interest and behavior in healthy 80- to 102-year olds. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 17, 109-29.
15. Hallstrom, T. and Samuelsson, S. (1990). Changes in women's sexual desire in middle age: the longitudinal study of women in Gothenberg. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 19, 259-68.
16. Pfeiffer, E., Verwoerdt, A., and Wang, H. (1968). Sexual behavior in middle and old age. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 20, 151-8.
17. George, L. and Weiler, S. (1981). Sexuality in middle and late life. Archives of General Psychiatry, 38, 919-23.
18. Masters, W. and Johnson, V. (1966). Human sexual response. Churchill, London.
19. Sherwin, B., Gelfand, M., and Brender, W. (1985). Androgen enhances sexual motivation in females: a prospective cross-over study of sex steroid administration in the surgical menopause. Psychosomatic Medicine, 47, 339-51.
20. Davidson, J., Chen, J., Crapo, L., Gray, G., Greenleaf, W., and Catania, J. (1983). Hormonal function and sexual function in aging men. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 57, 71-7:
21. Schiavi, R:, Schreiner-Engel, P., White, D., and Mandell, J. (1991). The relationship between pituitary-gonadal function and sexual behavior in healthy aging men. Psychosomatic Medicine, 53, 363-74:
22. Rowland, D., Greenleaf, W., Dorfman, L., and Davidson, J. (1993). Aging and sexual function in men. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 22, 545-57.
23. Feldman, H.A., Goldstein, I., Hatzichristou, D., Krane, R., and McKinlay, J. (1994). Impotence and its medical and psychological correlates: results of the Massachusetts male aging study. Journal of Urology, 151, 54-61
24. Ford, R: and Kellett, J. Submitted to Age and Ageing.
25. Office of Population Census and Surveys (1988). General household survey 1996. HMSO, London.
26. Winn, R. and Newton, N. (1982). Sexuality in aging: a study of 106 cultures. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 11, 283-98.
27. Kellett, J. (1987). Treatment of sexual disorder: a prophylaxis for major pathology? Journal of the Royal College of Physicians, 21, 58-60.
28. Schiavi, R., White, D., Mandeli, J., and Levine, A. (1997). Effect of testosterone administration on sexual behavior and mood in men with erectile dysfunction. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 26, 231-8:
29. Hunter, J. (1782). Venereal disease. London.
30. Riley, A. (1998). Integrated approaches to therapy. Sexual and Marital Therapy, 13, 229-32.
Was this article helpful?
Are Menopause Symptoms Playing Havoc With Your Health and Relationships? Are you tired of the mood swings, dryness, hair loss and wrinkles that come with the change of life? Do you want to do something about it but are wary of taking the estrogen or antidepressants usually prescribed for menopause symptoms?