• Clean-room doors must be of specialist design and formed from various materials, such as steel, glass reinforced plastic (GRP), glass and other laminate constructions.
• All doors should have a smooth, uniform surface without visible projections and irregularities.
• Joints in the door construction should be positioned on the vertical edges only.
• Specialist clean-room doors should be used and be prefinished where possible with hardware minimized and factory fitted.
• Core materials and finish should be carefully selected to meet the performance requirements (including fire rating if necessary) and door vision panels flush detailed and factory fitted.
• If hollow metal doorframes are used in masonry walls, then the voids should be filled with cement mortar as the wall construction proceeds.
Figure 6.4 illustrates the principles to be followed.
Glass doors should be manufactured from toughened glass, no less than 9-mm thick. These doors are best set in a stainless steel frame with stainless steel door furniture.
Emergency exit or fire-resistance doors must comply with these requirements and preference should be given to proprietary crash panels specifically designed for clean rooms.
It should be noted that all other penetrations into the clean room must be treated in a similar manner. This would include equipment penetrating through the walls, ceilings or fixed into the surface itself, and such items as utility or service panels, light fittings, HVAC grilles and filters, control panels, CCTV, speech panels, key pads, touch telephones, sprinkler heads or covers and emergency showers.
Other penetrations into the clean room must be sealed flush using gaskets, manifold plates or a silicone mastic. All joints between different materials, or where surfaces are not flush (maximum should be 5-mm to 10-mm projection), should be sealed with a silicone elastic seal, which must be smooth and have a minimum/maximum depth and width of 5 to 10 mm.
All silicone mastic used in the clean room should be formulated with an antibacterial additive and the gasket material should be a smooth-surfaced, closed celltype rubber such as Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM), which provides a smooth, high-performance membrane.
Was this article helpful?
Discover secrets, myths, truths, lies and strategies for dealing effectively with cholesterol, now and forever! Uncover techniques, remedies and alternative for lowering your cholesterol quickly and significantly in just ONE MONTH! Find insights into the screenings, meanings and numbers involved in lowering cholesterol and the implications, consideration it has for your lifestyle and future!