• Thinamides: Propylthiouracil (PTU), Methimazole (Tapazole), inhibits T3 conversion and the oxidation and organification of iodine; may cause hepatitis, agranulocytosis, parotiditis; Methimazole is contraindicated in pregnancy
• Iodine, Lugol's solution: excess iodine inhibits thyroid hormone (Wolff-Chaikoff Effect); contraindicated in rheumatoid arthritis
• Glucocorticoids: suppress the hypothalamic—pituitary—thyroid axis
• Lithium: inhibits thyroid hormone release; contraindicated in renal failure and cardiovascular disease
• Propanolol, Metoprolol: (^-blockers) used to control the peripheral manifestation of sympathetic overactivity (inhibits thyrotoxicosis)
Was this article helpful?