• Sentinel Node: first echelon node that drains primary tumor
• Lymphoscintigraphy and Lymphatic Mapping: localizes the sentinel node and lymphatic drainage pattern
• Technique: preoperatively undergo a lymphoscintigraphy to identify region of the draining basin and sentinel node, interoperatively inject lymphozarin dye intradermally to visualize sentinel node during dissection, confirm sentinel node by utilizing a radioactive probe (P-
probe), biopsy sentinel node and send for frozen section (4—8% false-positive rate)
• if node is positive for melanoma should undergo a neck dissection and consideration for interferon therapy
• if node is negative for melanoma no neck dissection required, may undergo neck dissection and consideration for interferon therapy if clinical nodes develop
• frozen section positive for tumor 15—20% of time
Was this article helpful?