• Risk: radiation (latency of 7-30 yrs); alcohol and smoking not associated with most salivary neoplasms (except Warthin's tumors)
• Multicellular Theory: neoplastic cells originate from their counterparts (eg, oncocytic tumors from striated duct; acinar tumors from acinar cells)
• Biocellular Theory: all neoplastic cells differentiate from basal cells found in excretory and intercalated ducts
• 80% of parotid tumors are benign; 80% of salivary neoplasms are located in the parotid
• in general, the smaller the gland the more likely malignant
Was this article helpful?