1. Anonymous, Classification of fungi, The online msn-Encarta Encyclopedia, retrieved from http://encarta.msn.com.
2. Mau, J.-L., Miklus, M.B., and Beelman, R.B., The shelf life of Agaricus mushrooms, in Shelf Life Studies of Foods and Beverages: Chemical, Biological, Physical and Nutritional Aspects, Charalambous, G., Ed., Elsevier Science, 1993, pp. 255-288.
3. Chang, S.T., World production of edible and medicinal mushrooms in 1997 with emphasis on Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing. in China., Int. J. Medicinal Mushrooms, 1, 291-301, 1999.
4. Van Griensven, L.J.L.D., The edible and medicinal button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus (J. Lge) Imbach) and its relatives: present status, use, and future in commerce and research, Int. J. Medicinal Mushrooms, 3, 311-331, 2001.
5. Soler-Rivas, C., Arpin, N., Olivier, J.M., and Wichers, H.J., Discoloration and tyrosinase activity in Agaricus bisporus fruit bodies infected with various pathogens, Mycol. Res., 104, 351-356, 2000.
6. Schisler, L.C., Biochemical and mycological aspects of mushroom composting, in Penn State Mushroom Shortcourse Manual, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1982, pp. 3-10.
7. Beyer, D.M., Basic Procedures for Agaricus Mushroom Growing, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2003.
Weil, J., The Effect of Phase II Pasteurization on Populations of Select Human Pathogenic Bacteria in Mushroom Compost, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2004.
Wuest, P.J. and Bengston, G.D., Penn State Handbook for Commercial Mushroom Growers, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1982. Beelman, R.B., Effect of type of peat casing layer and the addition of calcium chloride to watering treatments on quality and shelf-life of fresh mushrooms, in Developments in Crop Science: Cultivating Edible Fungi, Wuest, P.J., Royse, D.J., and Beelman, R.B., Eds., Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1987, pp. 271-282.
Kukura, J.L., Beelman, R.B., Peiffer, M., and Walsh, R., Calcium chloride added to irrigation water of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) reduces postharvest browning, J. Food Sci., 63, 454-457, 1998.
Mattila, P., Salo-Vaananen, P., Konko, K., Aro, H., and Jalava, Basic composition and amino acid contents of mushrooms cultivated in Finland, J. Agri. Food Chem., 50, 6419-6422, 2002.
Frankhuizen, R. and Boekestein, A., Non-destructive determination of moisture content of fresh mushrooms by near infrared (NIR) spec-troscopy, in Mushroom Science XIV: Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi, 2, Elliott, T.J., Ed., A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam, 1995, pp. 755-763. Ajlouni, S.O., Beelman, R.B., and Thompson, D.B., Influence of gamma radiation on quality characteristics, sugar content, and respiration rate of mushrooms during postharvest storage, in Food Flavors, Ingredients and Composition, Charalambous, G.E., Ed., Elsevier Science, 1993, pp. 103-121.
Mattila, P.A.-M.L., Ronkainen, R., Toivo, J., and Piironen, V., Sterol and vitamin D2 contents in some wild and cultivated mushrooms, Food Chem., 76, 293-298, 2002.
Beelman, R.B. and Edwards, C.G., Variability in the composition and nutritional value of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, Mushroom News, 37, 20-26, 1989.
USDA, USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 14, Nutrient Data Laboratory, 2001.
Spaulding, T. and Beelman, R.B., Survey evaluation of selenium and other minerals in Agaricus mushrooms commercially grown in the United States, Mushroom News, 51, 6-9, 2003.
Doores, S., Kramer, M., and Beelman, R., Evaluation and bacterial populations associated with fresh mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), in Proceeding of the International Symposium on Technical Aspects of Cultivating Edible Fungi,. Wuest, P.J., Royse, D.J., and Beelman, R.B. Eds., Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1986, pp. 283-294.
Halami, P.M., Chandrashekar, A., and Joseph, R., Characterization of bacteriocinogenic strains of lactic acid bacteria in fowl and fish intestines and mushroom, Food Biotech., 13, 121-136, 1999. Anonymous, 1994.
Burton, K.S., Quality investigations into mushroom browning, Mushroom J., 158, 68-70, 1986.
Beelman, R.B., Guthrie, B.D., and Royse, D.J., Influence of bacterial populations on postharvest deterioration of fresh mushrooms, Mushroom Sci., 12, 655-665, 1989.
24. Beelman, R.B. and Simons, S.S., Influence of selected cultural factors on relative tyrosinase activity in cultivated mushrooms, in Proceedings of the Second International Conference, Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products, Royse, D.E., Ed., Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1996, pp. 543-551.
25. Boekelheide, K., Graham, D.G., Mize, P.D., Anderson, C.W., and Jeffs, P.W., Synthesis of gamma-L-glutaminyl-[3,5-3H] 4-hydroxybenzene and the study of reactions catalyzed by the tyrosinase of Agaricus bisporus., J. Biol. Chem., 254, 12185-12191, 1979.
26. Soulier, L., Foret, V., and Arpin, N., Occurrence of agaritine and gamma-glutaminyl-4-hydroxybenzene (GHB) in the fructifying mycelium of Agaricus bisporus, Mycol. Res., 97, 529-532, 1993.
27. Jolivet, S., Voiland, A., Pellon, G., and Arpin, N., Main factors involved in the browning of Agaricus bisporus, Mushroom Sci., 14, 695-702, 1995.
28. Atkey, P.T. and Nichols, R., Surface structure of Agaricus bisporus by scanning electron microscopy, Mushroom J., 129, 334-335, 1983.
29. Chikthimmah, N., McMillen, J., LaBorde, L.F., Demirci, A., and Beelman, R.B., Irrigation with electrolyzed oxidizing water to reduce bacterial populations on fresh mushrooms, in Book of Abstracts, Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2003.
30. Chikthimmah, N., LaBorde, L.F., and Beelman, R., Irrigation with hydrogen peroxide and calcium chloride as a strategy to reduce bacterial populations on fresh mushrooms, in Book of Abstracts, Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2004.
31. Olivier, J.M., Guillaumes, J., and Martin, D., Study of a bacterial disease of mushroom caps, in 4th International Conference in Plant Pathology and Bacteriology, INRA, Angers, 1978, pp. 903-916.
32. Geels, F.P., Hesen, L.P.W., and van Griensven, L.J.L.D., Brown discolouration of mushrooms caused by Pseudomonas agarici, J. Phytopath., 140, 249-259, 1994.
33. Wong, W.C., Fletcher, J.T., Unsworth, B.A., and Preece, T.F., A note on ginger blotch, a new bacterial disease of the cultivated mushrooms, Agaricus bisporus, J. Appl. Bacteriol., 52, 43-48, 1982.
34. Rainey, P.B., Brodey, C.L., and Johnstone, K., Biology of Pseudomonas tolaassii, cause of brown blotch disease of the cultivated mushroom, in Advances in Plant Pathology, Academic Press, 1992, pp. 95-117.
35. Paine, S.G., Studies in bacteriosis. II. A brown blotch disease of cultivated mushrooms, Ann. Appl. Biol., 5, 206-219, 1919.
36. Wong, W.C. and Preece, T.F., Pseudomonas tolaasii in cultivated mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) crops: numbers of the bacterium and symptom development on mushrooms grown in various environments after artificial inoculation, J. Appl. Bacteriol., 53, 87-96, 1982.
37. Soler-Rivas, C., Arpin, N., Olivier, J.M., and Wichers, H.J., Activation of tyrosinase in Agaricus bisporus strains following infection by Pseudomonas tolaasii or treatment with a tolaasin-containing preparation, Mycol. Res., 97, 529-532, 1997.
38. Wells, J.M., Sapers, G.M., Fett, W.F., Butterfield, J.E., Jones, J.B., Bouzar, H., and Miller, F.C., Postharvest discoloration of the cultivated mushroom Agaricus bisporus caused by Pseudomonas tolaasii, P. 'reactans', and P. 'gingeri', Postharvest Pathol. Mycotoxins, 86, 1098-1104, 1996.
Fett, W.F., Wells, J.M., Cescutti, O., and Wijey, C., Identification of exopolysaccharides produced by fluorescent pseudomonads associated with commercial mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) production, Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 61, 513-517, 1995.
Beach, W.S., Control of mushroom disease and weed fungi, Penn State College Agric. Bull., 351, 1-32, 1937.
Sharma, H.S.S., Kilpatrick, M., and Ward, F., Colonisation of phase II compost by biotypes of Trichoderma harzianum and their effect on mushroom yield and quality, Appl. Microbiol. Biotech., 51, 572-578, 1999. Mumpuni, A., Sharma, H.S.S., and Brown, A.E., Effect of metabolites produced by Trichoderma harzianum biotypes and Agaricus bisporus on their respective growth radii in culture, Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 64, 5053-5056, 1998.
Visscher, H.R., Fructification of Agaricus bisporus (Lge.) Imb in relation to the relevant microflora in the casing soil, Mushroom Sci., 10, 641-655, 1978. Reddy, M.S. and Patrick, Z.A., Effect of bacteria associated with mushroom compost and casing materials on basidomata formation in Agaricus bisporus, Can. J. Plant Path., 12, 236-242, 1990.
Hayes, W.A., Randle, P.E., and Last, F.T., The nature of the microbial stimulus affecting sporophore formation in Agaricus bisporus (Lange) Sing., Ann. Appl. Biol., 64, 177-187, 1969.
Wong, W.C. and Preece, T., Pseudomonas tolaasii in mushroom crops: a note on primary and secondary sources of the bacterium on a commercial farm in England, J. Appl. Bacteriol., 49, 305-314, 1980.
Barden, C.L., Beelman, R.B., Bartley, C.E., and Schisler, L.C., The effect of calcium chloride added to the irrigation water on quality and shelf life of harvested mushrooms, J. Food Prot., 53, 759-762, 1990.
Solomon, J.M., Beelman, R.B., and Bartley, C.E., Addition of calcium chloride and stabilized chlorine dioxide to irrigation water to improve quality and shelf-life of Agaricus bisporus, in Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi, Maher Balkema, Rotterdam, 1991, pp. 695-701.
Miklus, M.B. and Beelman, R.B., CaCl2 treated irrigation water applied to mushroom crops (Agaricus bisporus) increases Ca concentration and improves postharvest quality and shelf life, Mycologia, 88, 403-409, 1996. Geels, F.P., Pseudomonas tolaasii control by kasugamycin in cultivated mushrooms, J. Appl. Bacteriol., 79, 38-42, 1995.
McArdle, F.J., Beelman, R.B., Gavin, A., Abdollahi, A., and Wuest, P.J., Production and processing factors influencing potential thermophilic spoilage of canned mushrooms, in Mushroom Science X (Part II), Proceedings of the 10th International Congress on the Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi, France, 1978.
Nair, N. and Fahy, G., Bacteria antagonistic to Pseudomonas tolaasii and their control of brown blotch of the cultivated mushroom Agaricus bisporus, J. Appl. Bacteriol., 35, 439-442, 1972.
Pai, T., Effects of storage environmental conditions on weight loss, whiteness change, and microbial activity of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), Agric. Chem. Biotech., 43, 161-164, 2000.
Tano, K., Arul, J., Doyon, G., and Castaigne, F., Atmospheric composition and quality of fresh mushrooms in modified atmosphere packages as affected by storage temperature abuse, J. Food Sci., 64, 1073-1077, 1999.
55. Barber, W.H. and Summerfield, M.R.D., Environmental control of bacterial blotch on Pennsylvania shelf farms, Mushroom News, 38, 8-17, 1990.
56. Gormley, T.R. and MacCanna, C., Prepackaging and shelf life of mushrooms, Irish J. Agric. Res., 6, 255-265, 1967.
57. Nichols, R. and Hammond, J.B.W., Storage of mushrooms in pre-packs: the effect of changes in carbon dioxide and oxygen on quality., J. Sci. Food Agric., 24, 1371-1381, 1973.
58. Nichols, R. and Hammond, J.B.W., The relationship between respiration, atmosphere and quality in intact and perforated mushroom pre-packs, J. Food Technol., 10, 427-435, 1975.
59. Burton, K.S. and Twyning, R.V., Extending mushroom storage-life by combining modified atmosphere packaging and cooling, Acta Horticulturae, 258, 565-571, 1989.
60. Martin, S.T. and Beelman, R.B., Growth and enterotoxin production of Staphylococcus aureus in fresh packaged mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), J. FoodProt., 59, 819-826, 1996.
61. Kautter, D.A., Lilly, T.J., and Lynt, R., Evaluation of the botulism hazard in fresh mushrooms wrapped in commercial poly vinyl chloride film, J. Food Prot., 41, 120-121, 1978.
62. Burton, K.S., The quality and storage life of Agaricus bisporus, in Mushroom Science XII, Proceedings of the 12th International Congress on the Science and Cultivation of Edible Fungi, Braunschwey, Germany, 1989, pp. 683-688.
63. Burton, K.S. and Twyning, R.V., Extending mushroom storage-life by combining modified atmosphere packaging and cooling, Acta Horticulturae, 258, 565-571, 1989.
64. Hotchkiss, J.M. and Banco, M.J., Influence of new packaging technologies on the growth of microorganisms in produce, J. Food Prot., 55, 815-820, 1992.
65. Lopez-Briones, G., Varoquaux, P., Bureau, G., and Pascat, B., Modified atmosphere packaging of common mushrooms, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 28, 57-68, 1993.
66. Lopez-Briones, G., Varoquaux, P., Yves, B.J., Bureau, G., and Pascat, B., Storage of common mushroom under controlled atmospheres, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 28, 57-68, 1992.
67. Roy, S., Anantheswaran, R.C., and Beelman, R.B., Sorbitol increases shelf life of fresh mushrooms stored in conventional packages, J. Food Sci., 60, 1254-1259, 1995.
68. Roy, S., Anantheswaran, R.C., and Beelman, R.B., Modified atmosphere and modified humidity packaging of fresh mushrooms, J. Food Sci., 61, 391-397, 1996.
69. Anderson, J.E., Beelman, R.B., and Doores, S., Persistence of serological and biological activities of Staphylococcus enterotoxin A in canned mushrooms, J. FoodProt., 59, 1292-1299, 1996.
70. McConnell, A.L., Evaluation of Wash Treatments for the Improvement of Quality and Shelf-Life of Fresh Mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). M.S. thesis, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1991.
71. Beelman, R.B. and Duncan, E.M., Preservation Composition and Methods for Mushrooms, U.S. Patent 5919507, 1999.
72. Sapers, G.M., Miller, R.L., Pilizota, V., and Kamp, F., Shelf life extension of fresh mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) by application of hydrogen peroxide and browning inhibitors, J. Food Sci., 66, 362-366, 2001.
73. Sapers, G.M., Miller, R.L., Miller, F.C., Cooke, P.H., and Choi, S.W., Enzymatic browning control in minimally processed mushrooms, J. Food Sci., 59, 1042-1047, 1994.
74. Sapers, G.M., Miller, R.L., and Choi, S.-W., Mushroom discoloration: new process for improving shelf life and appearance, Mushroom News, 43, 7-13, 1995.
75. Sapers, G.M. and Simmons, G.F., Hydrogen peroxide disinfections of minimally processed fruits and vegetables, Food Technol., 52, 48-52, 1998.
76. Sapers, G.M., Miller, R.L., Choi, S.W., and Cooke, P.H., Structure and composition of mushrooms as affected by hydrogen peroxide wash, J. Food Sci., 59, 889-892, 1999.
77. Wozna, J., Effect of ionizing radiation on the microflora and storage life of fresh mushrooms (Psalliota campestris), Roczniki Technologii i Chemii Zywnosci, 19, 89-101, 1970.
78. Kramer, M.E., Doores, S., and Beelman, R.B., The effect of radiation processing on mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) shelf life at two storage temperatures, in Changing Food Technology, Institute of Food Technologists 4th Eastern Food Science and Technology Symposium, Kroger, M. and Shapiro, R. Eds., Technomic, Lancaster, PA, 1987.
79. Beaulieu, M., Lacroix, M., Charbonneau, R., Laberge, I., and Gagnon, M., Effects of gamma irradiation dose rate on microbiological and physical quality of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), Sciences des Aliments, 12, 289-303, 1992.
80. Koorapati, A., Foley, D., Pilling, R., and Prakash, A., Electron beam irradiation preserves the quality of white button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) slices, J. Food Sci., 69, 25-29, 2004.
81. Beelman, R.B., Demirci, A., and Weil, D.A., unpublished data, 2003.
Was this article helpful?