1. Baugher, T.A., Hogmire, H.W.J., and Lightner, G.W., Determining apple packout losses and impact on profitability, Appl. Agric. Res., 5, 343, 1990.
2. Wells, J.M. and Butterfield, J.E., Salmonella contamination associated with bacterial soft rot of fresh fruits and vegetables in the marketplace, Plant Dis., 81, 867, 1997.
3. Blender, R.J., Sargent, S.A., Brecht, J.K., and Bartz, J.A., Effect of tomato grade on incidence of decay during simulated shipping, Proc. Fla. State Hortic. Soc., 105, 119, 1992.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Draft guidance for industry: guide to minimize microbial food safety hazards for fresh fruits and vegetables, Fed. Regist, 63, 18029, 1998.
FDA, Guide to Minimize Microbial Food Safety Hazards for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 1998. Chesson, A., Maceration in relation to post-harvest handling and processing of plant material, J. Appl. Bacteriol., 48, 1, 1980.
Dingman, D.W., Growth of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in bruised apple (Malus domestica) tissue as influences by cultivar, date of harvest, and source, Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 66, 1077, 2000.
Riordan, D.C.R., Sapers, G.M., and Annous, B.A., The survival of Echerichia coli O157:H7 in the presence of Penicillium expansium and Glomerella cingulata in wounds on apple surfaces, J. Food Prot., 63, 1637, 2000. Kadakal, C. and Nas, S., Effect of apple decay proportion on the patulin, fumaric acid, HMF and other apple juice properties, J. Food Saf., 22, 17, 2002.
Kelsey, F. and Pao, S., Factsheet 2, Fresh Citrus Juice. Key Factors in Determining Fresh Citrus Juice Quality and Safety, Vol. 2003, Florida Department of Citrus, 1999.
Keller, S.E., Chirtel, S.J., Merker, R.I., Taylor, K.T., Tan, H.L., and Miller, A.J., Influence of fruit variety, harvest technique, quality sorting, and storage on the native microflora of unpasteurized apple cider, J. Food Prot., 67, 2240, 2004.
Jackson, L.S., Beacham-Bowden, T., Keller, S.E., Adhikari, C., Taylor, K.T., Chirtel, S.J., and Merker, R.I., Apple quality, storage, and washing treatments affect patulin levels in apple cider, J. Food Prot., 66, 618, 2003. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Fruit and Vegetable Practices: 1999, Agricultural Statistics Board NASS, USDA, 2001, p. 1.
Miller, W.M. and Burns, J.K., Grade lowering defects and grading practices for Indian River grapefruit, Proc. Fla. State Hortic. Soc., 105, 129, 1992. Carballo, S.J., Blankenship, S.M., Ritchie, D.F., and Boyette, M.D., Comparison of packing systems for injury and bacterial soft rot on Bell pepper fruit, HortScience, 4, 269, 1994.
Leemans, V., Magein, H., and Destain, M.F., On-line fruit grading according to their external quality using machine vision, Biosyst. Eng., 83, 397, 2002. Bull, C.R. and McFarlane, N.J.B., X-ray detection of subsurface damage in fruits and vegetables, Postharvest News and Information, 9, 29N, 1998. Clark, C.J. and Burmeister, D.M., Magnetic resonance imaging of browning development in "Braeburn" apple during controlled-atmosphere storage under high CO2, HortScience, 34, 915, 1999.
Clark, C.J., McGlone, V.A., and Jordan, R.B., Detection of brownheart in "Braeburn" apple by transmission NIR spectroscopy, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 28, 87, 2003.
Fraser, D.G., McGlone, V.A., Kunnemeyer, R. and Jordan, R.B., NIR (Near Infra-Red) light penetration into an apple, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 22, 191, 2001.
Gonzalez, J.J., Valle, R.C., Bobroff, S., Biasi, W.V., Mitcham, E.J., and McCarthy, M.J., Detection and monitoring of internal browning developments in "Fuji" apples using MRI, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 22, 179, 2001.
22. Keener, K.M., Stroshine, R.L., and Nyenhuis, J.A., Evaluation of low field (5.40 MHz) proton magnetic resonance measurements of Dw and T2 as methods of non-destructive quality evaluation of apples, J. Am. Soc. Horticult. Sci., 124, 289, 1999.
23. Schatzki, T.F., Haff, R.P., Young, R., Can, I., Le, L.C., and Toyofuku, N., Defect detection in apples by means of X-ray imaging, Trans. Am. Soc. Agric. Eng., 40, 1407, 1997.
24. Upchurch, B.L., Throop, J.A., and Aneshansley, D.J., Detecting internal breakdown in apples using interactance measurements, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 10, 15, 1997.
25. Simon, J.E., Hetzroni, A., Bordelon, B., Miles, G.E., and Charles, D.J., Electronic sensing of aromatic volatiles for quality sorting of blueberries, J. Food Sci., 61, 967, 1996.
26. U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 21 CFR Part 120, Hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP); procedures for the safe and sanitary processing and importing of juice, Final rule, Fed. Regist., 66, 6137, 2001.
27. Anon., Analysis and Evaluation of Preventive Control Measures for the Control and Reduction/Elimination of Microbial Hazards on Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce, Vol. 2003, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2001.
Was this article helpful?