1. Kays, S.J., Postharvest Physiology of Perishable Plant Products, 2nd ed., AVI Book, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1997, p. 532.
2. Li-Cohen, A.E. and Bruhn, C.M., Safety of consumer handling of fresh produce from the time of purchase to the plate: a comprehensive consumer survey, J. Food Prot., 65, 1287, 2002.
3. Eckert, J.W. and Ogawa, J.M., The chemical control of postharvest diseases: deciduous fruits, berries, vegetables and root/tuber crops, Ann. Rev. Phyto-pathol., 26, 433, 1988.
4. How, B.R., Marketing Fresh Fruits and Vegetables, AVI Book, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1991, p. 336.
5. Fonseca, S.C., Oliveira, A.R., and Brecht, J.K., Modelling respiration rate of fresh fruits and vegetables for modified atmosphere packages: a review, J. Food Eng., 52, 99, 2002.
6. Follett, P.A. and Sanxter, S.S., Longan quality after hot-water immersion and X-ray irradiation quarantine treatments, HortSci., 37, 571, 2002.
7. Marquenie, D., Lammertyn, J., Geeraerd, A.H., Soontjens, C., Van Impe, J.F., Nicolai, B.M., and Michiels, C.W., Inactivation of conidia of Botrytis cinerea and Monilinia fructigena using UV-C and heat treatment, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 74, 27, 2002.
8. Larrigaudiere, C., Pons, J., Torres, R., and Usall, J., Storage performance of clementines treated with hot water, sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate dips, J. Hort. Sci. Biotechnol, 77, 314, 2002.
9. Fallik, E., Aharoni, Y., Grinberg, S., Copel, A., and Klein, J.D., A postharvest hydrogen peroxide treatment inhibits decay in eggplant and sweet red pepper, Crop Prot., 13, 451, 1994.
10. Sapers, G.M. and Simmons, G.F., Hydrogen peroxide disinfection of minimally processed fruits and vegetables, Food Technol., 52, 48, 1998.
11. Romanazzi, G., Nigro, F., Ippolito, A., and Salerno, M., Effect of short hypobaric treatments on postharvest rots of sweet cherries, strawberries and table grapes, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 22, 1, 2001.
12. Conway, W.S., Janisiewicz, W.J., Klein, J.D., and Sams, C.E., Strategy for combining heat treatments, calcium infiltration, and biological control to reduce postharvest decay of "Gala" apples, HortSci., 34, 700, 1999.
13. Lurie, S., Postharvest heat treatments of horticultural crops, Hortic. Rev., 22, 91, 1998.
14. Barkai-Golan, R. and Phillips, D.J., Postharvest heat treatment of fresh fruits and vegetables for decay control, Plant Dis., 75, 1085, 1991.
15. Fallik, E., Aharoni, Y., Yekutieli, O., Wiseblum, A., Regev, R., Beres, H., and Bar-Lev, E., A Method for Simultaneously Cleaning and Disinfecting Agricultural Produce, Israel Patent Application No. 116965, 1996.
16. Fallik, E., Tuvia-Alkalai, S., Copel, A., Wiseblum, A., and Regev, R., A short water rinse with brushing reduces postharvest losses: 4 years of research on a new technology, Acta Hortic., 553, 413, 2001.
17. Couey, H.M., Heat treatment for control of postharvest diseases and insect pests of fruits, HortSci., 24, 198, 1989.
18. Fawcett, H.S., Packing house control of brown rot, Citrograpth, 7, 232, 1922.
19. Brooks, C. and McColloch, C., Some storage diseases of grapefruit, J. Agric. Res., 52, 319, 1936.
20. Klein, J.D. and Lurie, S., Postharvest heat treatment and fruit quality, Postharvest News Info., 2, 15, 1991.
21. Klein, J.D. and Lurie, S., Heat treatments for improved postharvest quality of horticultural crops, HortTechnol., 2, 316, 1992.
22. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), T103: high temperature forced air, Plant Protection and Quarantine Treatment Manual, United States Department of Agriculture, Hyattsville, MD, 1996, p. 5.51.
23. Tsang, M.M.C., Hara, A.H., Hata, T.Y., Hu, B.K.S., Kaneko, R.T., and Tenbrink, V., Hot-water immersion unit for disinfestation of tropical floral commodities, Appl. Eng. Agric., 11, 397, 1995.
24. Sharp, J.L., Hot-water immersion appliance for quarantine research, J. Econ. Entomol., 82, 189, 1989.
Fallik, E., Grinberg, S., Alkalai, S., Yekutieli, O., Wiseblum, A., Regev, R., Beres, H., and Bar-Lev, E., A unique rapid hot water treatment to improve storage quality of sweet pepper, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 15, 25, 1999. Prusky, D., Fuchs, Y., Kobiler, I., Roth, I., Weksler, A., Shalom, Y., Fallik, E., Zaurberman, G., Pesis, E., Akerman, M., Yekutieli, O., Wiseblum, A., Regev, R., and Artes, L., Effect of hot water brushing, prochloraz treatment and waxing on the incidence of black spot decay caused by Alternaria alternata in mango fruit, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 15, 165, 1999.
Fallik, E., Aharoni, Y., Copel, A., Rodov, R., Tuvia-Alkalai, S., Horev, B., Yekutieli, O., Wiseblum, A., and Regev, R., A short hot water rinse reduces postharvest losses of "Galia" melon, Plant Pathol., 49, 333, 2000. Ben-Yehoshua, S., Peretz, J., Rodov, V., Nafussi, B., Yekutieli, O., Wiseblum, A., and Regev, R., Postharvest application of hot water treatment in citrus fruits: the road from the laboratory to the packing-house, Acta Hortic., 518, 19, 2000.
Lichter, A., Dvir, O., Rot, I., Akerman, M., Regev, R., Wiseblum, A., Fallik, E., Zauberman, G., and Fuchs, Y., Hot water brushing: an alternative method to SO2 fumigation for color retention of litchi fruits, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 18, 235, 2000.
Porat, R., Daus, A., Weiss, B., Cohen, L., Fallik, E., and Droby, S., Reduction of postharvest decay in organic citrus fruit by a short hot water brushing treatment, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 18, 151, 2000.
Porat, R., Pavoncello, D., Peretz, Y., Weiss, B., Cohen, L., Ben-Yehoshua, S., Fallik, E., Droby, S., and Lurie, S., Induction of resistance against Penicillium digitatum and chilling injury in Star Ruby grapefruit by a short hot water brushing treatment, J. Hort. Sci. Biotechnol., 75, 428, 2000. Fallik, E., Tuvia-Alkalai, S., Feng, X., and Lurie, S.,. Ripening characterization and decay development of stored apples after a short prestorage hot water rinsing and brushing, Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Technol., 2, 127, 2001. Ilic, Z., Polevaya, Y., Tuvia-Alkalai, S., Copel, A., and Fallik, E., A short prestorage hot water rinse and brushing reduces decay development in tomato, while maintaining its quality, Trop. Agric. Res. Ext., 4, 1, 2001. Smilanick, J.L., Sorenson, D., Mansour, M., Aieyabei, J., and Plaza, P., Impact of a brief postharvest hot water drench treatment on decay, fruit appearance, and microbe populations of California lemons and oranges, HortTechnol., 13, 333, 2003.
Civello, P.M., Martinez, G.A., Chavas, A.R., and Anon, M.C., Heat treatments delay ripening and postharvest decay of strawberry fruit, J. Agric. Food Chem., 45, 4589, 1997.
Fallik, E., Grinberg, S., Alkalai, S. ,and Lurie, S., The effectiveness of postharvest hot water dips on the control of gray and black moulds in sweet red pepper (Capsicum annuum), Plant Pathol., 45, 644, 1996. Dettori, A., D'Hallewin, G., Agabbio, M., Marceddu, S., and Schirra, M., SEM Studies on Penicillium italicum - ''Star Ruby'' Grapefruit Interactions as Affected by Fruit Hot Water Dipping, Proceedings of the VIII International Citrus Congress, Vol. 2, Sun City Resort, South Africa, May 12-17, 1996, p. 1158.
D'Hallewin, G., Dettori, A., Marceddu, S., and Schirra, M., Evoluzione dei processi infettivi di Penicillium digitatum Sacc. In vivo e in vitro dopo immersione in acqua calda, Italus Hortus., 4, 23, 1997.
39. Ranganna, B., Raghaven, G.S.V., and Kushalappa, A.C., Hot water dipping to enhance storability of potatoes, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 13, 215, 1998.
40. Rappel, L.M., Cooke, A.W., Jacobi, K.K., and Wells, I.A., Heat treatments for postharvest disease control in mangoes, Acta Hortic., 291, 362, 1991.
41. Karabulut, O.A., Cohen, L., Wiess, B., Daus, A., Lurie, S., and Droby, S., Control of brown rot and blue mold of peach and nectarine by short hot water brushing and yeast antagonists, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 24, 103, 2002.
42. Shellie, K.C. and Mangan, R., Disinfestation: effect of non-chemical treatments on market quality of fruit, in Postharvest Handling of Tropical Fruit, ACIAR Proceedings No. 50, Champ, B.C., Highly, E., and Johnson, G.I. Eds., ACIAR, Canberra, Australia, 1994, p. 304.
43. Schirra, M., Agabbio, M., D'Hallewin, G., Pala, M., and Ruggiu, R., Response of Tarocco oranges to picking date, postharvest hot water dips, and chilling storage temperature, J. Agric. Food Chem., 45, 3216, 1997.
44. Jacobi, K.K., MacRae, E.A., and Hetherington, S.E., Effect of fruit maturity on the response of "Kensington" mango fruit to heat treatment, Aust. J. Exp. Agric., 41, 793, 2001.
45. Jacobi, K.K., MacRae, E.A., and Hetherington, S.E., Postharvest heat disinfection treatments of mango fruit, Sci. Hortic., 89, 171, 2001.
46. Ferguson, I.B., Ben-Yehoshua, S., Mitcham, E.J., McDonald, R.E., and Lurie, S., Postharvest heat treatments: introduction and workshop summary, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 21, 1, 2000.
47. Schirra, M., D'hallewin, G., Ben-Yehoshua, S., and Fallik, E., Host-pathogen interaction modulated by heat treatment, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 21, 71, 2000.
48. Teitel, D.C., Barkai-Golan, R., Aharoni, Y., Copel, A., and Davidson, H., Toward a practical postharvest heat treatment for "Galia" melons, Sci. Hortic., 45, 339, 1991.
49. Garcia, J.M., Aguilera, C., and Albi, M.A., Postharvest heat-treatment on Spanish strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa cv. Tudla), J. Agric. Food Chem., 43, 1489, 1995.
50. Garcia, J.M., Aguilera, C., and Jimenez, A.M., Gray mold in and quality of strawberry fruit following postharvest heat treatment, HortSci., 31, 255, 1996.
51. Wszelaki, A.L. and Mitcham, E.J., Effect of combinations of hot water dips, biological control and controlled atmospheres for control of gray mold on harvested strawberries, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 27, 255, 2003.
52. Margosan, D.A., Smilanick, J.L., Simmons, G.F., and Henson, D.J., Combination of hot water and ethanol to control postharvest decay of peaches and nectarines, Plant Dis., 81, 1405, 1997.
53. Abu-Kpawoh, J.C., Xi, Y.F., Zhang, Y.Z., and Jin, Y.F., Polyamine accumulation following hot-water dips influences chilling injury and decay in "Friar" plum fruit, J. Food Sci., 67, 2649, 2002.
54. Lunardi, R., Sanhueza, R.M.V., and Bender, R.J., Imersao em agua quente on controle pos-colheita da podridao branca em macas cv. Fuji. (Postharvest control of white rot on cv. Fuji apples by hot water heat treatment), Fitopathol. Bras., 28, 431, 2003.
55. Dashwood, E.P., Burnett, E.M., and Perombelon, M.C.M., Effect of a continuous hot water treatment of potato tubers on seedborne fungal pathogens, Potato Res., 34, 71, 1991.
Gonzalez-Aguilar, G.A., Cruz, R., Baez, R., and Wang, C.Y., Storage quality of bell peppers pretreated with hot water and polyethylene packaging, J. Food Qual., 22, 287, 1999.
Gonzalez-Aguilar, G.A., Gayosso, L., Cruz, R., Fortiz, J., Baez, R., and Wang, C.Y., Polyamines induced by hot water treatments reduce chilling injury and decay in pepper fruit, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 18, 19, 2000.
Barkai-Golan, R., Padova, R., Ross, I., Lapidot, M, Davidson, H., and Copel, A., Combined hot water and radiation treatments to control decay of tomato fruits, Sci. Hortic., 56, 101, 1993.
McDonald, R.E., McCollum, T.G. and Baldwin, E.A., Temperature of hot water treatments influences tomato fruit quality following low-temperature storage, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 16, 147, 1999.
Rodov, V., Ben-Yehoshua, S., Albagli, R., and Fang, D.Q., Reducing chilling injury and decay of stored citrus fruit by hot water dips, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 5, 11, 1995.
Gonzalez-Aguilar, G.A., Zacarias, L., Mulas, M., and Lafuente, M.T., Temperature and duration of water dips influence chilling injury, decay and polyamine content in "Fortune" mandarins, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 12, 61, 1997.
Schirra, M. and D'Hallewin, G., Storage performance of Fortune mandarins following hot water dips, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 10, 229, 1997. Nafussi, B., Ben-Yehoshua, B., Rodov, V., Peretz, J., Ozer, B.K., and D'Hallewin, G., Mode of action of hot-water dip in reducing decay of lemon fruit, J. Agric. Food Chem., 49, 107, 2001.
Ben-Yehoshua, S., Effects of postharvest heat and UV applications on decay, chilling injury and resistance against pathogens of citrus and other fruits and vegetables, Acta Hortic., 599, 159, 2003.
El-Shiekh, A.F., Effect of different postharvest hot water treatments on quality and storability of "marsh" grapefruit, Gartenbauwissenschaft, 61, 91, 1996.
Prusky, D., Shalom, Y., Kobiler, I., Akerman, M., and Fuchs, Y., The level of quiescent infection of Alternaria alternata in mango fruits at harvest determines the postharvest treatment applied for the control of rots during storage, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 25, 339, 2002.
Hofman, P.J., Stubbings, B.A., Adkins, M.F., Meiburg, G.F., and Woolf, A.B., Hot water treatments improve "Hass" avocado fruit quality after cold disinfestation, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 24, 183, 2002.
Sapers, G.M., Efficacy of washing and sanitizing methods, Food Technol. Biotechnol, 39, 305, 2001.
Saltveit, M., Physical and physiological changes in minimally processed fruits and vegetables, in Phytochemistry of Fruit and Vegetables, Tomas'-Barberan, F.A. and Robins, R.J., Eds., Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1997, p. 205. Cantwell, M.I., Hong, G., and Suslow, T.V., Heat treatments control extension growth and enhance microbial disinfection of minimally processed green onions, HortSci., 36, 732, 2001.
Park, W.P., Cho, S.H., and Lee, D.S., Effect of minimal processing operations on the quality of garlic, green onion, soybean sprouts and watercress, J. Sci. Food Agric., 77, 282, 1998.
72. Fleischman, G.J., Bator, C., Merker, R., and Keller, S.E., Hot water immersion to eliminate Escherichia coli O157:H7 on the surface of whole apples: thermal effects and efficacy, J. Food Prot., 64, 451, 2001.
73. Enomoto, K., Takizawa, T., Ishikawa, N., and Suzuki, T., Hot-water treatments for disinfecting alfalfa seeds inoculated with Escherichia coli ATCC 25922, Food Sci. Technol. Res., 8, 247, 2002.
74. Li, Y., Brackett, R.E., Chen, J., and Beuchat, L.R., Mild heat treatment of lettuce enhances growth of Listeria monocytogenes during subsequent storage at 5°C or 15°C, J. Appl. Microbiol., 92, 269, 2002.
75. Forney, C.F., Hot-water dips extend the shelf life of fresh broccoli, HortSci., 30, 1054, 1995.
76. Smith, K.J. and Lay-Yee, M., Response of ''Royal Gala'' apples to hot water treatment for insect control, Postharvest. Biol. Technol., 19, 111, 2000.
77. McGuire, R.G., Market quality of guavas after hot water quarantine treatments and application of carnauba wax coating, HortSci., 32, 271, 1997.
78. Lay-Yee, M. and Rose, K.L., Quality of ''Fantasia'' nectarines following forced-air heat treatments for insect disinfestations, HortSci., 29, 663, 1994.
79. Lay-Yee, M., Clare, G.K., Petry, R.J., Fullerton, R.A., and Gunson, A., Quality and disease incidence of ''Waimanalo Solo'' papaya following forced-air heat treatments, HortSci., 33, 878, 1998.
80. Lee, H.H., Hong, S.I., Han, Y.S., and Kim, D., Effect of hot water treatment on biochemical changes in minimally processed onion, Food Sci. Biotechnol., 12, 445, 2003.
81. Forney, C.F. and Jordan, M.A., Induction of volatile compounds in broccoli by postharvest hot-water dips, J. Agric. Food Chem., 46, 5295, 1998.
82. Obenland, D.M., Fouse, D.C., Aung, L.H., and Houck, L.G., Release of d-limonene from non-injured and injured lemons treated with hot water and low temperature, J. Hort. Sci., 71, 389, 1996.
83. Woolf, A.B. and Laing, W.A., Avocado fruit skin fluorescence following hot water treatments and pretreatments, J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci., 121, 147,
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.