1. Farber, J.M., Microbiological aspects of modified-atmosphere packaging technology: a review, J. Food Prot., 54, 58, 1991.
2. Jayas, D.S. and Jeyamkondan, S., Modified atmosphere storage of grains, meats, fruits and vegetables, Biosyst. Eng., 82, 235, 2002.
3. Daniels, J.A., Krishnamurthi, R., and Rizvi, S.S.H., A review of effects of carbon dioxide on microbial growth and food quality, J. Food Prot., 48, 532, 1985.
4. Devlieghere, F., Debevere, J., and Van Impe, J., Concentration of carbon dioxide in the water-phase as a parameter to model the effect of a modified atmosphere on microorganisms, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 43, 105, 1998.
5. Devlieghere, F. and Debevere, J., Influence of dissolved carbon dioxide on the growth of spoilage bacteria, Lebens.-Wissen. Technol., 33, 531, 2000.
6. Hotchkiss, J.H. and Banco, M.J., Influence of new packaging technologies on the growth of microorganisms in produce, J. Food Prot., 55, 815, 1992.
7. Cutter, C.N., Microbial control by packaging: a review, Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr., 42, 151, 2002.
8. Gibson, A.M. et al., The effect of 100% CO2 on the growth of nonproteolytic Clostridium botulinum at chill temperatures, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 54, 39, 2000.
9. Francis, G.A., Thomas, C., and O'Beirne, D., Review article: the microbiological safety of minimally processed vegetables, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 34, 1, 1999.
10. Suppakul, P. et al., Active packaging technologies with an emphasis on antimicrobial packaging and its applications, J. Food Sci., 68, 408, 2003.
11. Jacxsens, L. et al., Effect of high oxygen modified atmosphere packaging on 7 microbial growth and sensorial qualities of fresh-cut produce, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 71, 197, 2001.
12. Amanatidou, A., Smid, E.J., and Gorris, L.G.M., Effect of elevated oxygen and carbon dioxide on the surface growth of vegetable-associated micro-organisms, J. Appl. Microbiol., 86, 429, 1999.
13. Allende, A. and Artes, F., Combined ultraviolet-C and modified atmosphere packaging treatments for reducing microbial growth of fresh processed lettuce, Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft und Technologie, 36, 779, 2003.
14. Wszelaki, A.L. and Mitcham, E.J., Effects of superatmospheric oxygen on strawberry quality and decay, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 20, 125, 2000.
15. U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Subject: Microbiological Safety of Controlled and Modified Atmosphere Packaging of Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce, in Analysis and Evaluation of Preventative Control Measures for the Control and Reduction/ Elimination of Microbial Hazards on Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce, http:// www.cfsan.fds.gov/~comm/ift3-6.html, 2001.
16. Al-Ati, T. and Hotchkiss, J.H., The role of packaging film permselectivity in modified atmosphere packaging, J. Agric. Food Chem., 51, 4133, 2003.
17. Alique, R., Martinez, M.A., and Alonso, J., Influence of the modified atmosphere packaging on shelf life and quality of Navalinda sweet cherry, Eur. Food Res. Technol., 217, 416, 2003.
18. Rai, D.R., Oberoi, H.S., and Baboo, B., Modified atmosphere packaging and its effect on quality and shelf life of fruits and vegetables: an overview, J. Food Sci. Technol., 39, 199, 2002.
19. Brecht, J.K. et al., Maintaining optimal atmosphere conditions for fruits and vegetables throughout the postharvest handling chain, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 27, 87, 2003.
20. Ahvenainen, R., New approaches in improving the shelf life of minimally processed fruit and vegetables, Trends Food Sci. Technol., 7, 179, 1996.
21. Lee, D.S., Kang, J.S., and Renault, P., Dynamics of internal atmosphere and humidity in perforated packages of peeled garlic cloves, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 35, 455, 2000.
22. Cliffe-Byrnes, V., McLaughlin, C.P., and O'Beirne, D., The effects of packaging film and storage temperature on the quality of a dry coleslaw mix packaged in a modified atmosphere, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 38, 187, 2003.
23. Vermeiren, L. et al., Developments in the active packaging of foods, Trends Food Sci. Technol., 10, 77, 1999.
24. Vermeiren, L., Devlieghere, F., and Debevere, J., Effectiveness of some recent antimicrobial packaging concepts, Food Add. Contam., 19 (Suppl.), 163, 2002.
25. Lee, C.H. et al., Wide-spectrum antimicrobial packaging materials incorporating nisin and chitosan in the coating, Packag. Technol. Sci., 16, 99, 2003.
26. Srinivasa, P.C. et al., Storage studies of mango packed using biodegradable chitosan film, Eur. Food Res. Technol., 215, 504, 2002.
27. Guilbert, S., Gontard, N., and Gorris, L.G.M., Prolongation of the shelf-life of perishable food products using biodegradable films and coatings, Lebens.-Wissen.Technol., 29, 10, 1996.
28. Spotts, R.A., Cervantes, L.A., and Facteau, T.J., Integrated control of brown rot of sweet cherry fruit with a preharvest fungicide, a postharvest yeast, modified atmosphere packaging, and cold storage temperature, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 24, 251, 2002.
29. Devlieghere, F., Vermeiren, L., and Debevere, J., New preservation technologies: possibilities and limitations, Int. Dairy J., 14, 273, 2004.
Bennik, M.H.J. et al., Biopreservation in modified atmosphere stored mungbean sprouts: the use of vegetable-associated bacteriocinogenic lactic acid bacteria to control the growth of Listeria monocytogenes, Lett. Appl. Microbiol., 28, 226, 1999.
Cai, Y., Ng, L.-K., and Farber, J.M., Isolation and characterization of nisin-producing Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis from bean-sprouts, J. Appl. Microbiol., 83, 499, 1997.
Francis, G.A. and O'Beirne, D., Effects of the indigenous microflora of minimally processed lettuce on the survival and growth of Listeria innocua, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 33, 477, 1998.
Francis, G.A. and O'Beirne, D., Effects of storage atmosphere on Listeria monocytogenes and competing microflora using a surface model system, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 33, 465, 1998.
Charles, F., Sanchez, J., and Gontard, N., Active modified atmosphere packaging of fresh fruits and vegetables: modeling with tomatoes and oxygen absorber, J. Food Sci., 68, 1736, 2003.
Gonzalez-Aquilar, G.A., Buta, J.G., and Wang, C.Y., Methyl jasmonate and modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) reduce decay and maintain postharvest quality of papaya "Sunrise", Postharvest Biol. Technol., 28, 361, 2003. Allende, A. and Artes, F., UV-C radiation as a novel technique for keeping quality of fresh processed "Lollo Rosso'' lettuce, Food Res. Int., 36, 739, 2003. Beuchat, L.R., Listeria monocytogenes: incidence on vegetables, Food Control, 7, 223, 1996.
Zagory, D., Effects of post-processing handling and packaging on microbial populations. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 15, 313, 1999.
Bagamboula, C.F., Uyttendaele, M., and Debevere, J., Growth and survival of Shigella sonnei and S. flexneri in minimal processed vegetables packed under equilibrium modified atmosphere and stored at 7°C and 12°C, Food Microbiol., 19, 529, 2002.
Allende, A., Aguayo, E., and Artes, F., Microbial and sensory quality of commercial fresh processed red lettuce throughout the production chain and shelf life, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 91, 109, 2004.
Pretel, M.T. et al., The effect of modified atmosphere packaging on ''ready-to-eat'' oranges, Lebens-Wissen. Technol., 31, 322, 1998.
Jacxsens, L. et al., Relation between microbiological quality, metabolite production and sensory quality of equilibrium modified atmosphere packaged fresh-cut produce, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 83, 263, 2003. Bennik, M.H.J. et al., The influence of oxygen and carbon dioxide on the growth of prevalent Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonas species isolated from fresh and controlled-atmosphere-stored vegetables, Food Microbiol., 15, 459, 1998.
Bennik, M.H. et al., Growth of psychrotrophic foodborne pathogens in a solid surface model system under the influence of carbon dioxide and oxygen, Food Microbiol., 12, 509, 1996.
Martinez-Ferrer, M. et al., Modified atmosphere packaging of minimally processed mango and pineapple fruits, J. Food Sci., 67, 3365, 2002.
Piga, A. et al., Influence of storage temperature on shelf-life of minimally processed cactus pear fruits, Lebens-Wissen. Technol., 33, 15, 2000.
Hintlian, C.B. and Hotchkiss, J.H., The safety of modified atmosphere packaging: a review, J. Food Technol., 40, 70, 1986.
48. Francis, G.A. and O'Beirne, D., Effects of vegetable type, package atmosphere and storage temperature on growth and survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes, J. Indust. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 27, 111, 2001.
49. Francis, G.A. and O'Beirne, D., Effects of acid adaptation on the survival of Listeria monocytogenes on modified atmosphere packaged vegetables, Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 36, 477, 2001.
50. Bennik, M.H.J. et al., Microbiology of minimally processed, modified-atmosphere packaged chicory endive, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 9, 209, 1996.
51. Berrang, M.E., Brackett, R.E., and Beuchat, L.R., Microbial, color and textural qualities of fresh asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower stored under controlled atmosphere, J. Food Prot., 53, 391, 1990.
52. Berrang, M.E., Brackett, R.E., and Beuchat, L.R., Growth of Aeromonas hydrophila on fresh vegetables stored under a controlled atmosphere, Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 55, 2167, 1989.
53. Berrang, M.E., Brackett, R.E., and Beuchat, L.R., Growth of Listeria monocytogenes on fresh vegetables stored under a controlled atmosphere, J. Food Prot., 52, 702, 1989.
54. Jacxsens, L., Devlieghere, F., and Debevere, J., Temperature dependence of shelf-life as affected by microbial proliferation and sensory quality of equilibrium modified atmosphere packaged fresh produce, Postharvest Biol. Technol., 26, 59, 2002.
55. Macura, D., McCannel, A.M., and Li, M.Z.C., Survival of Clostridium botulinum in modified atmosphere packaged fresh whole North American ginseng roots, Food Res. Int., 34, 123, 2001.
56. Austin, J.W., Dodds, K.L., Blanchfield, B., and Farber, J.M., Growth and toxin production by Clostridium botulinum on inoculated fresh-cut packaged vegetables, J. Food Prot., 61, 324, 1998.
57. Beuchat, L.R., Ecological factors influencing survival and growth of human pathogens on raw fruits and vegetables, Microbes Infect., 4, 413, 2002.
58. Gunes, G. and Hotchkiss, J.H., Growth and survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on fresh-cut applies in modified atmospheres at abusive temperatures, J. Food Prot., 65, 1641, 2002.
59. Phillips, C.A., The isolation of Campylobacter spp. from modified atmosphere packaged foods, Int. J. Environ. Health Res., 8, 215, 1998.
60. Paul, D.R. and Clarke, R., Modeling of modified atmosphere packaging based on designs with a membrane and perforations, J. Membr. Sci., 208, 269, 2002.
Was this article helpful?