Crook K, McLachlan G, Stevenson BJ, Porteous DJ. Plasmid DNA molecules complexed with cationic liposomes are protected from degradation by nucleases and shearing by aerosolisation. Gene Ther 1996, 3, 834-839. Eastman SJ, Tousignant JD, Lukason MJ, Murray H, Siegel CS, Constantino P, Harris DJ, Cheng SH, Schedule RK. Optimization of formulations and conditions for the aerosol delivery of functional cationic lipid, DNA complexes. Hum Gene Ther 1997, 8, 313-322.
Eastman SJ, Lukason MJ, Tousignant JD, Murray H, Lane MD, St George JA, Akita GY, Cherry M, Cheng SH, Scheule RK. A concentrated and stable aerosol formulation of cationic lipid. DNA complexes giving high-level gene expression in mouse lung. Hum Gene Ther 1997, 8, 765-773. Eastman SJ, Tousignant JD, Lukason MJ, Chu Q, Cheng SH, Scheule RK. Aerosolization of cationic lipid. pDNA complexes-in vitro optimization of nebulizer parameters for human clinical studies. Hum Gene Ther 1998, 9, 43-52.
Friedmann T. The Development of Human Gene Therapy; Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: Cold Spring Harbor, NY, 1999.
Mizuguchi H, Kay MA, Hayakawa T. Approaches for generating recombinant adenovirus vectors. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2001, 52, 165-176. Burton EA, Bai Q, Goins WF, Glorioso JC. Targeting gene expression using HSV vectors. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2001, 53, 155-170.
Rojanasakul Y, Wang LY, Malanga CJ, Ma JK, Liaw J. Targeted gene delivery to alveolar macrophages via Fc receptor-mediated endocytosis. Pharm Res 1994, 11, 1731-1736.
Pedroso de Lima MC, Simoes S, Pires P, Faneca H, Duzgunes N. Cationic lipid-DNA complexes in gene delivery: from biophysics to biological applications. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2001, 47, 277-294.
Felgner PL, Gadek TR, Holm M, Roman R, Chan HW, Wenz M, Northrop JP, Ringold GM, Danielsen M. Lipofection: a highly efficient, lipid-mediated DNA-transfection procedure. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1987, 84, 7413-7417. Stribling R, Brunette E, Liggitt D, Gaensler K, Debs R. Aerosol gene delivery in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1992, 89, 11277-11281.
Logan JJ, Bebok Z, Walker LC, Peng S, Felgner PL, Siegal GP, Frizzell RA, Dong J, Howard M, Matalon ?, et al. Cationic lipids for reporter gene and CFTR transfer to rat pulmonary epithelium. Gene Ther 1995, 2, 38-49.
Yoshimura K, Rosenfeld MA, Nakamura H, Scherer EM, Pavirani A, Lecocq JP, Crystal RG. Expression of the human cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene in the mouse lung after in vivo intratracheal plasmid-mediated gene transfer. Nucleic Acids Res 1992, 20, 3233-3240.
Cangrico AE, Conary JT, Meyrick BO, Brigham RL. Aerosol and intravenous transfection of human alpha, L-antitryp gene to lungs of rabbits. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1994, 19, 24-29.
Zabner J, Fasbender AJ, Moninger T, Poellinger KA, Welsh MJ. Cellular and molecular barriers to gene transfer by a cationic lipid. J Biol Chem 1995, 270, 18997-19007.
Balasubramaniam RP, Bennett MJ, Aberle AM, Malone JG, Nantz MH, Malone RW. Structural and functional analysis of cationic transfection lipids: the hydrophobic domain. Gene Ther 1996, 3, 163 -172.
Li S, Huang L. In vivo gene transfer via intravenous administration of cationic lipid-protamine-DNA (LPD) complexes. Gene Ther 1997, 4, 891-900.
Li WI, Edwards DA. Aerosol particle transport and deaggregation phenomena in the mouth and throat. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 1997, 26, 41 -49.
Liu Y, Mounkes LC, Liggitt HD, Brown CS, Solodin I, Health TD, Debs RJ.
Factors influencing the efficiency of cationic liposome-mediated intravenous gene delivery. Nat Biotechnol 1997, 15, 167-173.
Yew NS, Wang KX, Przybylska M, Bagley RG, Stedman M, Marshall J, Scheule RK, Cheng SH. Contribution of plasmid DNA to inflammation in the lung after administration of cationic lipid:pDNA complexes. Hum Gene Ther 1999, 10, 223-234.
Marshall J, Nietupski JB, Lee ER, Siegel CS, Rafter PW, Rudginsky SA, Chang CD, Eastman SJ, Harris DJ, Scheule RK, Cheng SH. Cationic lipid structure and formulation considerations for optimal gene transfection of the lung. J Drug Target 2000, 7, 453-469.
Meyer KB, Thompson MM, Levy MY, Barron LG, Szoka FC. Intratracheal gene delivery to the mouse airway: characterization of plasmid DNA expression and pharmacokinetics. Gene Ther 1995, 2, 450-460.
Alton NFW, Middleton PG, Caplen NJ, Smith SN, Steel DM, Munkonge FM, Jeffery PK, Geddes DM, Hart SL, Williamson R, Fasold KI, Miller AD, Dickinson P, Stevenson BJ, Molachlan G, Dorin JR, Porteous DJ. Noninvasive liposome-mediated gene delivery can correct the ion transport defect in cystic fibrosis mutant mice. Nat Genet 1993, 5, 135-142.
Alton EW, Stern M, Farley R, Jaffe A, Chadwick SL, Phillips J, Davies J, Smith SN, Browning J, Davies MG, Hodson ME, Durham SR, Li D, Jeffery PK, Scallan M, Balfour R, Eastman SJ, Cheng SH, Smith AE, Meeker D, Geddes DM. Cationic lipid-mediated CFTR gene transfer to the lungs and nose of patients with cystic fibrosis: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 1999, 353, 947-954.
Bragonzi A, Boletta A, Biffi A, Muggia A, Sersale G, Cheng SH, Bordignon C, Assael BM, Conese M. Comparison between cationic polymers and lipids in mediating systemic gene delivery to the lungs. Gene Ther 1999, 6, 1995-2004. Felgner PL, Tsai YJ, Sukhu L, Wheeler CJ, Manthorpe M, Marshall J, Cheng SH. Improved cationic lipid formulations for in vivo gene therapy. Ann NY Acad Sci
Scheule RK, St George JA, Bagley RG, Marshall J, Kaplan JM, Akita GY, Wang KX, Lee ER, Harris DJ, Jiang C, Yew NS, Smith AE, Cheng SH. Basis of pulmonary toxicity associated with cationic lipid-mediated gene transfer to the mammalian lung. Hum Gene Ther 1997, 8, 689-707.
Harvie P, Wong FM, Bally MB. Characterization of lipid DNA interactions. I. Destabilization of bound lipids and DNA dissociation. Biophys J 1998, 75, 1040-1051.
Farhood H, Serbina N, Huang L. The role of dioleoyl phosphatidylethanolamine in cationic liposome mediated gene transfer. Biochim Biophys Acta 1995, 1235, 289-295.
Friend DS, Papahadjopoulos D, Debs RJ. Endocytosis and intracellular processing accompanying transfection mediated by cationic liposomes. Biochim Biophys Acta
Matsui H, Johnson LG, Randell SH, Boucher RC. Loss of binding and entry of liposome-DNA complexes decreases transfection efficiency in differentiated airway epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 1997, 272, 1117-1126.
Xu Y, Szoka FC, Jr. Mechanism of DNA release from cationic liposome/DNA
complexes used in cell transfection. Biochemistry 1996, 35, 5616-5623.
Xu Y, Hui SW, Frederik P, Szoka FC, Jr. Physiochemical characterization and purification of cationic lipoplexes. Biophys J 1999, 77, 341-353.
Lee LK, Mount CN, Shamlou PA. Characterization of the physical stability of colloidal polycation-DNA complexes for gene therapy and DNA vaccines. Chem
Eng Sci 2001, 56, 3263-3272.
Sanders NN, De Smedt SC, Cheng SH, Demeester J. Pegylated GL67 lipoplexes retain their gene transfection activity after exposure to components of CF mucus. Gene Ther 2002, 9, 363-371.
Safinya CR. Structures of lipid-DNA complexes: supramolecular assembly and gene delivery. Curr Opin Struct Biol 2001, 11, 440-448.
71. Cheng SH, Scheule RK. Airway delivery of cationic lipid:DNA complexes for cystic fibrosis. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 1998, 30, 173-184.
72. Kwoh DY, Coffin CC, Lollo CP, Jovenal J, Banaszczyk MG, Mullen P, Phillips A, Amini A, Fabrycki J, Bartholomew RM, Brostoff SW, Carlo DJ. Stabilization of poly-l-lysine/DNA polyplexes for in vivo gene delivery to the liver. Biochim Biophys Acta 1999, 1444, 171-190.
73. Wagner E, Ogris M, Zauner W. Polylysine-based transfection systems utilizing receptor-mediated delivery. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 1998, 30, 97-113.
74. Boussif O, Lezoualc'h F, Zanta MA, Mergny MD, Scherman D, Demeneix B, Behr JP. A versatile vector for gene and oligonucleotide transfer into cells in culture and in vivo: polyethylenimine. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1995, 92, 7297-7301.
75. Kircheis R, Wightman L, Wagner E. Design and gene delivery activity of modified polyethylenimines. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2001, 53, 341-358.
76. Demeneix B, Behr J, Boussif O, Zanta MA, Abdallah B, Remy J. Gene transfer with lipospermines and polyethylenimines. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 1998, 30, 85-95.
77. von Harpe A, Petersen H, Li Y, Kissel T. Characterization of commercially available and synthesized polyethylenimines for gene delivery. J Control Release 2000, 69, 309-322.
78. Cherng JY, van de Wetering P, Talsma H, Crommelin DJ, Hennink WE. Effect of size and serum proteins on transfection efficiency of poly ((2-dimethylamino)ethyl methacrylate)-plasmid nanoparticles. Pharm Res 1996, 13, 1038-1042.
79. van de Wetering P, Cherng JY, Talsma H, Crommelin DJ, Hennink WE. 2-(Dimethyllamino)ethyl methacrylate-based (co)polymers as gene transfer agents. J Control Release 1998, 53, 145-153.
80. Jones NA, Hill IR, Stolnik S, Bignotti F, Davis SS, Garnett MC. Polymer chemical structure is a key determinant of physicochemical and colloidal properties of polymer-DNA complexes for gene delivery. Biochim Biophys Acta 2000, 1517, 1-18.
81. Haensler J, Szoka FC, Jr. Polyamidoamine cascade polymers mediate efficient transfection of cells in culture. Bioconjug Chem 1993, 4, 372-379.
82. Bielinska A, Kukowska-Latallo JF, Johnsson J, Tomalia DA, Baker JR, Jr. Regulation of in vitro gene expression using antisense oligonucleotides or antisense expression plasmids transfected using starburst PAMAM dendrimers. Nucleic Acids Res 1996, 24, 2176-2182.
83. Kukowska-Latallo JF, Bielinska AU, Johnson J, Spindler R, Tomalia DA, Baker JR, Jr. Efficient transfer of genetic material into mammalian cells using Starburst polyamidoamine dendrimers. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996, 93, 4897-4902.
84. Bielinska AU, Kukowska-Latallo JF, Baker JR, Jr. The interaction of plasmid DNA with polyamidoamine dendrimers: mechanism of complex formation and analysis of alterations induced in nuclease sensitivity and transcriptional activity of the complexed DNA. Biochim Biophys Acta 1997, 1353, 180-190.
85. Remy-Kristensen A, Clamme JP, Vuilleumier C, Kuhry JG, Mely Y. Role of endocytosis in the transfection of L929 fibroblasts by polyethylenimine/DNA complexes. Biochim Biophys Acta 2001, 1514, 21-32.
Varga CM, Wickham TJ, Lauffenburger DA. Receptor-mediated targeting of gene delivery vectors: insights from molecular mechanisms for improved vehicle design. Biotechnol Bioeng 2000, 70, 593-605.
Ferrari S, Pettenazzo A, Garbati N, Zacchello F, Behr JP, Scarpa M. Polyethylenimine shows properties of interest for cystic fibrosis gene therapy. Biochim Biophys Acta 1999, 1447, 219-225.
Ferrari S, Kitson C, Farley R, Steel R, Marriott C, Parkins DA, Scarpa M, Wainwright B, Evans MJ, Colledge WH, Geddes DM, Alton EW. Mucus-altering agents as adjuncts for nonviral gene transfer to airway epithelium. Gene Ther 2001, 8, 1380-1386.
Densmore CL, Orson FM, Xu B, Kinsey BM, Waldrep JC, Hua P, Bhogal B, Knight
V. Aerosol delivery of robust polyethyleneimine-DNA complexes for gene therapy and genetic immunization. Mol Ther 2000, 1, 180-188.
Gautam A, Densmore CL, Waldrep JC. Pulmonary cytokine responses associated with PEI-DNA aerosol gene therapy. Gene Ther 2001, 8, 254-257.
Gautam A, Densmore CL, Golunski E, Xu B, Waldrep JC. Transgene expression in mouse airway epithelium by aerosol gene therapy with PEI-DNA complexes. Mol
Goula D, Becker N, Lemkine GF, Normandie P, Rodrigues J, Mantero S, Levi G, Demeneix BA. Rapid crossing of the pulmonary endothelial barrier by polyethylenimine/DNA complexes. Gene Ther 2000, 7, 499-504. Orson FM, Kinsey BM, Hua PJ, Bhogal BS, Densmore CL, Barry MA. Genetic immunization with lung-targeting macroaggregated polyethyleneimine-albumin conjugates elicits combined systemic and mucosal immune responses. J Immunol 2000, 164, 6313-6321.
Rudolph C, Lausier J, Naundorf S, Muller RH, Rosenecker J. In vivo gene delivery to the lung using polyethylenimine and fractured polyamidoamine dendrimers. J Gene Med 2000, 2, 269-278.
Zou SM, Erbacher P, Remy JS, Behr JP. Systemic linear polyethylenimine-(L-PEI)-
mediated gene delivery in the mouse. J Gene Med 2000, 2, 128-134.
Uduehi AN, Stammberger U, Frese S, Schmid RA. Efficiency of nonviral gene delivery systems to rat lungs. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2001, 20, 159-163.
Uduehi AN, Stammberger U, Kubisa B, Gugger M, Buehler TA, Schmid RA.
Effects of linear polyethylenimine and polyethylenimine/DNA on lung function after airway instillation to rat lungs. Mol Ther 2001, 4, 52-57.
Fasbender A, Zabner J, Chillon M, Moninger TO, Puga AP, Davidson BL, Welsh
MJ. Complexes of adenovirus with polycationic polymers and cationic lipids increase the efficiency of gene transfer in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem 1997, 272,
Was this article helpful?
If you suffer with asthma, you will no doubt be familiar with the uncomfortable sensations as your bronchial tubes begin to narrow and your muscles around them start to tighten. A sticky mucus known as phlegm begins to produce and increase within your bronchial tubes and you begin to wheeze, cough and struggle to breathe.