9. Return the beads in the "Offspring" container to the container labeled "Parental."
10. Assume that animals with white-coat phenotype are incapable of reproducing. What is the genotype of animals with a white coat? To simulate this situation, remove 100 white beads from the container labeled "Parental," and set them aside.
11. Start by removing two beads from the container labeled "Parental," and record the results in your Table A. If the offspring has a white-coat phenotype, put its alleles in the container labeled "Dead." If the offspring has a black-coat phenotype, put its alleles in the container labeled "Offspring."
12. If animals with a white-coat phenotype cannot reproduce, predict what would happen to allele frequency if step 11 were repeated until the parental gene pool was empty. Write your prediction in your lab report.
13. Repeat step 11 until the parental gene pool is empty. Record the results of each pairing in your lab report in Table A. Compare your results with your prediction.
14. Transfer the beads from the "Offspring" container to the "Parental" container. Leave the beads that you have placed in the "Dead" container in that container. Do not return those beads to the parental container.
15. Repeat step 11 again until the parental pool is empty. Record your results in your data table.
16. Repeat steps 14 and 15 two more times.
17. Calculate the frequencies of the final genotypes produced, as you did in Part A. Compare the results with your prediction from step 12.
18. ^^ Clean up your materials before leaving the lab.
Analysis and Conclusions
1. Compare the frequency of recessive alleles produced in Part A with that produced in Part B. Did you correctly predict the frequencies?
2. Did the frequency of the b allele change uniformly through all generations? If not, what happened?
3. Why did you remove 100 white beads from the "Parental" container in step 10?
4. How did this change the phenotype frequency of white animals in the parental generation from the original ratio of 50/200?
If you continued Part B, would you eventually eliminate the b allele? Form a hypothesis and test it.
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Sleep In Peace And Harmony In A World Full Of Uncertainty And Dramatically Improve Your Quality Of Life Today! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Tools For Achieving Peace And Calmness And Live A Life Of Comfort That You Deserve!