CONCEPT MAPPING Use the following terms to create a concept map that shows how biomes can be classified based on climate: desert, savanna, tropical rain forest, temperate grassland, temperate deciduous forest, tundra, taiga, climate, arid, cold, temperate, tropical, hot, dry, trees, and grass.
Interpreting Graphics The rare species of squid in the photo below has several adaptations for living in very deep water. Explain some of the selective pressures that exist at great depths.
21. Analyzing Information Which biome occurs in all of the following locations: Spain, Australia, Canada, and the northeastern United States?
22. Evaluating Information Which soil is better suited for agricultural use: the soil of a tropical rain forest or the soil of a temperate deciduous forest? Explain your answer.
23. Inferring Relationships The organisms found near deep-sea volcanic vents do not use sunlight to get energy. What are possible energy sources for these organisms?
24. Predicting Results Would a herd of large herbivores be able to survive for many generations in a desert biome? Explain your answer.
25. Evaluating Viewpoints Imagine that a local government is debating whether a large freshwater wetland should be drained and filled in so that a new road can be built or whether the area should be turned into a wildlife refuge. Both of these options will have costs and benefits to the community. Draft some arguments that could be made for each side of the debate.
Standardized Test Preparation
DIRECTIONS: Choose the letter of the answer choice that best answers the question.
1. Why are estuaries more productive than most other biomes?
A. Estuaries contain vast coniferous forests.
B. Estuaries have shallow, nutrient-laden water.
C. Estuaries get more sunlight than other biomes.
D. The majority of land on Earth is covered by estuaries.
2. Which of the following characterizes the neritic zone of the ocean?
F. It receives little sunlight.
G. It supports very few species.
H. It is exposed to the air by low tide.
J. It receives nutrients washed from land.
3. Which of the following is true of temperate deciduous forests?
A. They are found near the equator.
B. They have the lowest rainfall of any biome.
C. They undergo seasonal changes in temperature.
D. They have the highest species richness of any biome.
4. Which of the following best describes the water of all eutrophic lakes?
INTERPRETING GRAPHICS: The graph below shows the relative temperature, precipitation, and soil nutrient content in a specific biome. Use the graph to answer the question that follows.
Temperature Precipitation Soil nutrient content
5. Which of the following biomes is best represented by this graph?
C. tropical rain forest
D. temperate grassland
DIRECTIONS: Complete the following analogy.
6. grasses : savanna :: coniferous trees :
INTERPRETING GRAPHICS: The graph below ranks several types of biomes in terms of their relative productivity. Use the graph to answer the question that follows.
7. If a scientist needed to add a bar representing the temperate grassland biome to this graph, where should the bar be placed?
A. to the left of desert
B. between savanna and estuary
C. between estuary and tropical rain forest
D. to the right of tropical rain forest
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Sleep In Peace And Harmony In A World Full Of Uncertainty And Dramatically Improve Your Quality Of Life Today! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Tools For Achieving Peace And Calmness And Live A Life Of Comfort That You Deserve!