Name the part of the compound light microscope denoted by each letter in the figure below.
Differentiate between the scanning electron microscope and the transmission electron microscope.
Describe the relationship between a kilometer, meter, and micrometer.
Explain why scientists throughout the world use the SI system.
List three safety symbols used in this textbook.
CONCEPT MAPPING Use the following terms to create a concept map that outlines the steps of the scientific method: observations, experiments, conclusions, questions, hypotheses, data analyses, predictions, theories, and communication.
28. Forming Hypotheses Go to a window or outside, and observe a bird's behavior for a few minutes. Record your observations, and write down one question about bird behavior and one hypothesis that answers the question.
29. Analyzing Concepts One of the most important parts of any scientific publication is the part called Methods and Materials, in which the scientist describes the procedure used in the experiment. Why do you think such details are so important?
30. Making Calculations Determine the number of liters that are in 150 kiloliters.
31. Making Comparisons Look at the photographs below. The TEM (left) is a photo of a paramecium. The SEM (right) is also a photo of a paramecium. Compare and contrast what each electron micrograph reveals to you about this organism.
Standardized Test Preparation
DIRECTIONS: Choose the letter of the answer choice that best answers the question.
1. Which of the following does evolution help explain?
A. how organisms reproduce
B. how organisms grow and develop
C. how organisms are related to each other
D. how organisms obtain and metabolize energy
2. Which of the following is the hereditary material in most living things?
J. carbon dioxide
3. Which of the following does the hierarchy of organization within an organism describe?
C. internal structures
D. relationship to the physical environment
4. To which of the following does the resolution of a microscope refer?
F. its ability to show detail clearly
G. its power to scan the surface of an object
H. its series of interchangeable objective lenses J. its power to increase an object's apparent size
INTERPRETING GRAPHICS: The graph below shows the distance it takes an owl to strike a mouse under different conditions. Use the graph to answer the question that follows.
Owl Strike Distance From Target in Different Conditions
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Sleep In Peace And Harmony In A World Full Of Uncertainty And Dramatically Improve Your Quality Of Life Today! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Tools For Achieving Peace And Calmness And Live A Life Of Comfort That You Deserve!