3. Obtain a bone from your teacher. Test the flexibility of the bone by trying to bend and twist it.
4. Place the bone on a balance. Measure the mass of the bone to the nearest 0.1 g, and record it in your data table. Then, use a permanent marker to write the initials of each member of your group on a specimen tag, and tie the tag to the bone.
5. Place the bone in a drying oven at 100°C for 30 minutes. While the bone is in the oven, complete Part C.
6. ^V CAUTION Do not touch hot objects with your bare hands. Use insulated gloves and tongs as appropriate. Using tongs, remove the bone from the oven and place it on a heat-resistant pad to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Use tongs to place the cooled bone on the balance. Measure the mass of the bone to the nearest 0.1 g, and record it in your data table.
8. Use the equation below to calculate the percentage of the bone's mass that was lost during heating.
Percentage mass lost =
mass before heating - mass after heating mass before heating
Demineralizing a Bone
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Sleep In Peace And Harmony In A World Full Of Uncertainty And Dramatically Improve Your Quality Of Life Today! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Tools For Achieving Peace And Calmness And Live A Life Of Comfort That You Deserve!