• The feet and beak of a bird reflect its way of life.
• There are currently 23 commonly recognized orders of living birds, but technological advances add to our knowledge of relationships among animals, and taxonomy is subject to change with new information.
• Ducks, geese, and swans belong to the order Anseriformes.
• Owls are nocturnal hunters and belong to the order Strigiformes.
• Swifts and hummingbirds belong to the order Apodiformes.
• Parrots and relatives belong to the order Psittaciformes.
• Woodpeckers and toucans belong to the order Piciformes.
• Perching birds and songbirds belong to the order Passeriformes. Passeriformes have a structure called the syrinx, which they use to produce songs.
• Pigeons and doves belong to the order Columbiformes.
• Raptors, long-legged water birds, and penguins belong to the order Ciconiiformes.
• Chickens and turkeys belong to the order Galliformes.
• Large birds such as the ostrich belong to the order Struthioniformes.
Vocabulary syrinx (p. 853)
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Sleep In Peace And Harmony In A World Full Of Uncertainty And Dramatically Improve Your Quality Of Life Today! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Tools For Achieving Peace And Calmness And Live A Life Of Comfort That You Deserve!