^ ^É^ CAUTION Put on safety goggles, gloves, and a lab apron. Using forceps, hold a preserved sea star under running water to gently but thoroughly remove excess preservative. Then, place the sea star in a dissection tray.
2. What evidence can you find that indicates that the sea star has pentaradial symmetry?
3. Make a table in your lab report like the one shown on the next page. As you observe each of the structures listed in the table, fill in the function of that structure.
4. While referring to Figure 38-7, find the madreporite on the aboral surface of your sea star. Record the madreporite's position and appearance.
5. Use a hand lens to examine the sea star's spines. Describe their size and shape. Are they distributed in any recognizable pattern on the surface of the sea star? Are they covered by tissue or exposed? Are they movable or fixed?
6. Are pedicellariae present? What is their location and arrangement? Draw one as it appears under the hand lens or dissecting microscope.
7. Use the dissecting microscope to look for small skin gills. If any are present, describe their location and structure.
8. Now, examine the sea star's oral surface. Find the mouth, and describe its location and structure. Use forceps or a probe to gently move aside any soft tissues. What structures are found around the mouth?
9. Locate the tube feet. Describe their distribution. Using a dissecting microscope, observe and then draw a single tube foot.
Was this article helpful?
Discover How To Sleep In Peace And Harmony In A World Full Of Uncertainty And Dramatically Improve Your Quality Of Life Today! Finally You Can Fully Equip Yourself With These “Must Have” Tools For Achieving Peace And Calmness And Live A Life Of Comfort That You Deserve!