22. Making Comparisons Why might damage to the pituitary gland be considered far more serious than damage to one of the other endocrine glands?
23. Inferring Relationships Describe the importance of "fit" between a receptor protein and a hormone.
24. Analyzing Graphics Identify and describe the type of feedback mechanism operating in the diagram shown below.
Standardized Test Preparation
DIRECTIONS: Choose the letter of the answer choice that best answers the question.
1. What are the chemical messengers of the endocrine system called?
C. blood cells
2. X and Y are hormones. X stimulates the secretion of Y, which exerts negative feedback on the cells that secrete X. Suppose the level of Y decreases. What should happen immediately afterwards?
F. Less X is secreted.
G. More X is secreted.
H. Secretion of Y stops. J. Secretion of X stops.
3. Endocrine glands
A. function only after puberty.
B. function only before puberty.
C. release products through ducts.
D. release products into the bloodstream.
INTERPRETING GRAPHICS: Study the figure below to answer the following questions.
Was this article helpful?