- Gait is ataxic with positive Romberg's test (sensory ataxia).
- Motor power is diminished distally.
- Plantar responses are extensor.
- Sensory loss: loss of vibration and joint position sensation in the lower limbs. Stocking/glove sensory loss is found when peripheral nerves are involved.
- Reflex findings are variable and depend on the predominance of peripheral nerve or corticospinal tract involvement.
Mini mental function test may suggest dementia. Optic pallor and centrocaecal scotoma can be demonstrated.
Was this article helpful?
This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.