• Compare and contrast among the following in vitro assays for amplifying nucleic acids: polymerase chain reaction (PCR), branched DNA amplification, ligase chain reaction, transcription-mediated amplification, and QP replicase with regard to type of target nucleic acid, principle, major elements of the procedure, type of amplicon produced, major enzyme(s) employed, and applications.
• Describe examples of modifications that have been developed for PCR.
• Discuss how amplicons are detected for each of the amplification methods.
• Design forward and reverse primers for a PCR, given the target sequence.
• Differentiate between target amplification and signal amplification.
Was this article helpful?