1. Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2000. JAMA 2002;288:1723-1727.
2. Ogden CL, Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999-2000. JAMA 2000;288:1728-1732.
3. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. [Rockville, MD]: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Services, Office of the Surgeon General; .
4. Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JF. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA 2005;293:298.
5. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. The evidence report. Obes Res 1998;6:51S-210S. Available online at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/ob_gdlns.pdf. Accessed 19 December 2005.
6. Calle EE, Thun MJ, Petrelli JM. Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of US adults. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:1097-1105.
7. Lean MEJ, Han TS, Seidell JC. Impairment of health and quality of life in people with large waist circumference. Lancet 1998;351:853-856.
8. Han TS, van Leer EM, Seidell JC, Lean MEJ. Waist circumference action levels in the identification of cardiovascular risk factors: prevalence study in a random sample. BMJ 1995;311:1401-1405.
9. Lee CD, Blair SN, Jackson AS. Cardiorespiratory fitness, body composition, and all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in men. Am J Clin Nutr 1999;69:373-380.
10. Farrell SW, Braun L, Barlow CE, Cheng YJ, Blair SN. The relation of body mass index, cardiorespiratory fitness, and all-cause mortality in women. Obesity Res 2002;10:417-423.
11. Hill, James O., and Trowbridge, Frederick L. Childhood obesity: future directions and research priorities. Pediatrics. 1998; Supplement: 57.
12. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, and the North American Society for the Study of Obesity. The practical guide: identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. Available online at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_c.pdf. Accessed 19 December 2005.
13. Atkins RC. Dr. Atkins' new diet revolution. New York: Avon Books; 1992.
14. Sears, B. The Zone. New York: Harper Collins; 1995.
15. Agatston A. The South Beach diet: the delicious, doctor-designed, foolproof plan for fast and healthy weight loss; New York: Random House; 2003.
16. Dansinger ML, Gleason JA, Griffith JL, Selker HP, Schaefer EJ. Comparison of Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction. JAMA 2005;293:43-53.
17. lfenas RCG, Mattes RD. Influence of glycemic index/load on glycemic response, appetite, and food intake in healthy humans. Diabetes Care 2005;28:2123-2129.
18. Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO et al. A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2082-2090.
19. Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory JM, Williams T, Williams M, Gracely EJ, Stern L. A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2074-2081.
21. Chao A, Thun M, Connell CJ, McCullough ML, Jacobs EJ, Flanders WD, Rodriguez C, Sinha R, Calle EE. Meat consumption and the risk of colorectal cancer. JAMA 2005;293:172-182.
22. American Heart Association statement on high protein, low-carbohydrate diet study, presented at Scientific Sessions: Available online at: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3006728.
23. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK, NIH) Available online at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kdd/index.htm. Accessed 20 December 2005.
24. Perkins BA, Ficociello LH, Silva KH, Finkelstein DM, Warram JH, Krolweski AS. Regression of microalbuminuria in type I diabetes. New Engl J Med 2003;348:2285-2293.
25. US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. Dietary guidelines for Americans 2005. Available online at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/pdf/DGA2005.pdf. Accessed 19 December 2005.
26. Institute of Medicine. Dietary reference intakes for energy, carbohydrate, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids (macronutrients). Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2002. Available online at: http://www.nap.edu/books/0309085373/html. Accessed 19 December 2005.
27. Wyatt, HR. Phelan S, Wing R, Hill, J. Lessons from patients who have successfully maintained weight loss. Obesity management. April 2005;1:56-61.
28. Bray GA, Blackburn GL, Ferguson JA, Greenway FL, Jain AK, Mendel CM, Mendels J, Ryan DH, Schwartz SL, Scheinbaum ML, Seaton TB. Sibutramine produces dose-related weight loss. Obes Res 1999;7:189-198.
29. Apfelbaum M, Vague P, Ziegler O, Hanotin C, Thomas F, Leutenegger E. Long-term maintenance of weight loss after a very-low calorie diet: a randomized blinded trial of the efficacy and tolerability of sibutramine. Am J Med 1999;106:179-184.
30. McNulty SJ, Ur E, Williams G. A randomized trial of sibutramine in the management of obese type 2 diabetic patients treated with metformin. Diabetes Care 2003;26:125.131.
31. Smith IG. Randomized placebo-controlled trial of long-term treatment with sibutramine in mild to moderate obesity. J Fam Pract 2001;50:505-512.
32. Wadden TA, Berkowitz RI, Womble LG, Sarwer DB, Phelan S, Cato RK, Hesson LA, Osei SY, Kaplan R, Stunkard AJ. Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity. N Engl J Med 2005;353: 2111-2120.
33. Finer N, Bloom SR, Frost GS, Banks LM, Griffiths J. Sibutramine is effective for weight loss and diabetic control in obesity with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Diab Obes Metab 2000;2:105-112.
34. Fujioka K, Seaton TB, Rowe E, Jelinek CA, Raskin P, Lebovitz HE, Weinstein SP. Weight loss with sibutramine improves glycaemic control and other metabolic parameters in obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diab Obes Metab 2000;2:175-187.
35. Gokcel A, Karakose H, Ertorer EM, Tanaci N, Tutuncu NB, Guvener N. Effects of sibutramine in obese female subjects with type 2 diabetes and poor blood glucose control. Diabetes Care 2001;24:1957-1960.
36. James WPT, Astrup A, Finer N, Hilsted J, Kopelman P, Rossner S, Saris WHM, Van Gaal LF. Effect of sibutramine on weight maintenance after weight loss: a randomized trial. Lancet 2000;356:2119-2125.
37. Dujovne CA, Zavoral JH, Rowe E, Mendel CM. Effects of sibutramine on body weight and serum lipids: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study in 322 overweight and obese patients with dyslipidemia. Am Heart J 2001;142:489-497.
38. Krijs GJ. Metabolic benefits associated with sibutramine therapy. Int J Obesity 2002;26:S34-S37.
39. McMahon FG, Weinstein SP, Rowe E, Ernst KR, Johnson F, Fujioka K. Sibutramine is safe and effective for weight loss in obese patients whose hypertension is well controlled with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors. J Hum Hypertens 2002;16:5-11.
40. Sramek JJ, Leibowitz MT, Weinstein SP, Rowe ED, Mendel CM, Levy B, McMahon FG, Mullican WS, Toth PD, Cutler NR. Efficacy and safety of sibutramine for weight loss in obese patients with hypertension well controlled by beta-adrenergic blocking agents: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial. J Hum Hypertens 2002;16:13-19.
41. Torgerson JS, Hauptman J, Boldrin MN, Sjostrom L. Xenical in the prevention of diabetes in obese subjects (XENDOS) study: A randomized study of orlistat as an adjunct to lifestyle changes for the prevention of type 2 diabetes in obese patients. Diabetes Care 2004;27:155-161.
42. Sjostrom L, Rissanen A, Anderson T, Boldrin M, Golay A, Koppeschaar HPF, Krempf M. Randomised placebo-controlled trial of orlistat for weight loss and prevention of weight regain in obese patients. Lancet 1998;352:167-173.
43. Davidson MH, Hauptman J, DiGirolamo M, Foreyt JP, Halsted CH, Heber D, Heimburger DC, Lucas CP, Robbins DC, Chung J, Heymsfield SB. Weight control and risk factor reduction in obese subjects treated for 2 years with orlistat. A randomized trial. JAMA 1999;281:235-242.
44. Heymsfield SB, Segal KR, Hauptman J, Lucas CP, Boldrin MN, Rissanen A, Wilding JPH, Sjostrom L. Effects of weight loss with orlistat on glucose tolerance and progression to type 2 diabetes in obese adults. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:1321-1326.
45. Hollander PA, Elbein SC, Hirsch IB, Kelley D, McGill J, Taylor T, Weiss SR, Crockett SE, Kaplan RA, Comstock J, Lucas CP, Lodewick PA, Conavatchel W, Chung J, Hauptman J. Role of orlistat in the treatment of obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 1998;21:1288-1294.
46. Miles JM, Leitter L, Hollander P, Wadden T, Anderson JW, Doyle M, Foreyt J, Aronne L, Klein S. Effect of orlistat in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin. Diabetes Care 2002;25:1123-1128.
47. Kelley DE, Kuller LH, McKolanis TM, Harper P, Mancino J, Kalhan S. Effects of moderate weight loss and orlistat on insulin resistance, regional adiposity, and fatty acids in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2004;27:33-40.
48. Tong PCY, Lee ZS, Sea MM, Chow CC, Ko GTC, Chan WB, So WY, Ma CS, Chan JCN. The effect of orlistat-induced weight loss, without concomitant hypocaloric diet, on cardiovascular risk factors and insulin sensitivity in young obese Chinese subjects with or without type 2 diabetes. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:2428-2435.
49. Lindgarde F. The effect of orlistat on body weight and coronary heart disease risk profile in obese patients: the Swedish multimorbidity study. J Intern Med 2000;248:245-254.
50. Beck-da-Silva L, Higginson L, Fraser M, Williams K, Haddad H. Effect of orlistat in obese patients with heart failure: A pilot study. Congest Heart Fail 2005;11:118-123.
51. Cavaliere H, Floriano I, Medeiros-Neto G. Gastrointestinal side effects of orlistat may be prevented by concomitant prescription of natural fibers (psyllium mucilloid). Int J Obes Rel Metab Disord 2001;25:1095-1099.
52. Van Gaal LF, Rissanen AM, Scheen AJ, Ziegler O, Rossner S for the RIO-Europe Study Group. Effects of the cannabinoid-1 receptor blocker rimonabant on weight reduction and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight patients: 1-year experience from the RIO-Europe study. Lancet 2005;365:1389-1397.
53. Despres JP, Golay A, Sjostrom L for the Rimonabant in Obesity-Lipids Study Group. N Engl J Med 2005;353;:2121-2134.
54. Buchwald H, Avidor Y, Braunwald E, Jensen MD, Pories W, Fahrbach K, Schoelles K. Bariatric surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2004;292:1724-1737.
55. Sjostrom L, Lindroos AK, Peltonen M, Torgerson J, Bouchard C, Carlsson B, Dahlgren S, Larsson B, Narbro K, Sjostrom CD, Sullivan M, Wedel H for the Swedish Obese Subjects Study Scientific Group. Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery. N Engl J Med 2004;351:2683-2693.
56. Santry HP, Gillen DL, Lauderdale DS. Trends in bariatric surgical procedures. JAMA 2005;294:1909-1917.
57. Flum DR, Salem L, Elrod JB, Dellinger EP, Cheadle A, Chan L. Early mortality among medicare beneficiaries undergoing bariatric surgical procedures. JAMA 2002;294:1903-1908.
Was this article helpful?
I can't believe I'm actually writing the book that is going to help you achieve the level of health and fitness that you always dreamed of. Me, little scrawny sickly Darlene that was always last picked in gym class. There's power in a good story here so get this book now.