1. Name two substances released by lactobacilli that help protect the vagina from potential pathogens.
2. List four things that predispose to the development of infection of the urinary bladder.
3. What is pyelonephritis?
4. Name two genera of bacteria that infect the kidneys from the bloodstream.
5. What possible danger lurks in a spot on the ground where an animal has urinated 1 week earlier?
6. What probably causes the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction?
7. What causes the characteristic odor of bacterial vaginosis?
9. How does gonorrhea threaten the normal functioning of the heart?
10. Name two bacterial causes of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
11. What is ophthalmia neonatorum?
12. List three diseases caused by different antigenic types of Chlamydia trachomatis.
13. Which bacterium leads all others as a cause of reportable infectious disease?
14. Why is dark-field microscopy used to visualize Treponema pallidum?
15. Give two ways in which the chancre of chancroid differs from the chancre of syphilis.
Was this article helpful?