Bacterial Bite Wound Infections
1. The kind of bite wound infection depends on the kinds of infectious agents in the mouth of the biting animal, and the nature of the wound, whether puncture, crushed, or torn.
Pasteurella multocida Bite Wound Infections (Table 27.7)
1. Pasteurella multocida, a small Gram-negative rod, can infect bite wounds inflicted by a number of animal species.
2. Specific opsonizing antibody permits killing of the bacteria by phagocytes.
3. P. multocida causes fowl cholera and diseases in other animals, but many animals are asymptomatic carriers.
Cat Scratch Disease (Table 27.8, Figure 27.15)
1. Cat scratch disease is the most common cause of chronic localized lymph node enlargement in children.
2. Caused by Bartonella henselae, it begins with a pimple at the site of a bite or scratch, followed by enlargement of local lymph nodes, which often become pus-filled.
3. Most individuals with cat scratch disease recover without treatment, but persons with AIDS are susceptable to two serious conditions caused by B. henselae, peliosis hepatis and bacillary angiomatosis.
Was this article helpful?
Nutrition is a matter that people spend their careers learning about and requires volumes of books to explain. My objective is to instruct you how to consume a healthy nutritional diet that aids your body in burning off fat instead of storing it. You do not require overwhelming science to get this.