• Pulmonary hypertension is often secondary to other cardiopulmonary diseases.
• Acute pulmonary hypertension is ameliorated by treatment of the underlying disease.
• Chronic pulmonary hypertension results in vascular remodeling.
• Recovery from chronic pulmonary hypertension is possible and depends on vascular endothelial integrity.
• The prognosis of primary pulmonary hypertension is generally fatal.
• Therapy is focused on a reduction in pulmonary artery pressures and the prevention of right ventricular dysfunction or failure.
Was this article helpful?