• Severe diarrhea with dehydration can require intensive care treatment, particularly for infants, the elderly, or the debilitated.
• Prevention or correction of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance are the most important components of treatment.
• Complications of diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli include hemolytic-uremic syndrome and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
• Clostridium difficile colitis can cause diarrhea up to 6 weeks after antibiotic use.
• Altered intestinal function and side-effects of drug treatment are other common causes of diarrhea arising during intensive care.
Was this article helpful?