• The onset and types of infection associated with HIV are dependent on CD4 lymphocyte counts.
• Respiratory infections at high CD4 counts are usually bacterial infections or tuberculosis; at lower counts pneumocystis and fungal infections become more common.
• Septicemia follows similar principles as for non-HIV patients.
• Neurological involvement includes acute myelopathy, neuropathy, encephalopathy, encephalitis, mass lesions, and meningitis
• Cardiac and renal disease, although later findings, may occur and carry significant morbidity and mortality.
Was this article helpful?
What will this book do for me? A growing number of books for laymen on the subject of health have appeared in the past decade. Never before has there been such widespread popular interest in medical science. Learn more within this guide today and download your copy now.