• The cerebral edema that accompanies or is part of fulminant hepatic encephalopathy is a common cause of death.
• Management of cerebral edema involves optimization of liver function, and monitoring of and measures to reduce the intracranial pressure.
• The most effective treatment of elevated intracranial pressure is mannitol infusion.
• Infection is common and is often fungal after the first week of management in the intensive care unit.
• Hypoglycemia must be excluded as a cause of deteriorating mental state.
Was this article helpful?