• The family must be given time to accept the inevitability of death and to understand the concept of brainstem testing.
• Staff must understand and accept the validity of brainstem testing.
• Where there are no medical contraindications, the possibility of organ donation should be offered to the family.
• Whatever the outcome, the family need to be supported throughout and made aware of the time-scale of events.
• Organ donation gives a positive outcome for both the family and intensive care unit staff.
Was this article helpful?