• The accurate assessment of the depth of sedation is crucial in any intensive care patient.
• Benzodiazepines are generally among the safest central nervous system active medications.
• Normally, because of its rapid elimination, full recovery to awareness is reached within minutes to a few hours after discontinuation of propofol.
• Indications for haloperidol and other butyrophenone neuroleptics are delirium and withdrawal syndromes.
• Clonidine is a centrally acting imidazoline and a 2-agonist. It can be used as an alternative to benzodiazepines in the treatment of severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms or delirium, which are accompanied by profound activation of the sympathetic nervous system.
Was this article helpful?