1. Moschos SJ, Mantzoros CS. The role of the IGF system in cancer: from basic to clinical studies and clinical applications. Oncology 2002; 63(4):317-332.
2. LeRoith D, Roberts CT, Jr. The insulin-like growth factor system and cancer. Cancer Lett 2003; 195(2):127-137.
3. Chapman IM, Hartman ML, Pieper KS, Skiles EH, Pezzoli SS, Hintz RL, et al. Recovery of growth hormone release from suppression by exogenous insulinlike growth factor I (IGF-I): evidence for a suppressive action of free rather than bound IGF-I. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998; 83(8):2836-2842.
4. Thissen JP, Ketelslegers JM, Underwood LE. Nutritional regulation of the insulin-like growth factors. Endocr Rev 1994; 15(1):80-101.
5. PEARSON OH, RAY BS. Results of hypophysectomy in the treatment of metastatic mammary carcinoma. Cancer 1959; 12(1):85-92.
6. Wu Y, Cui K, Miyoshi K, Hennighausen L, Green JE, Setser J, et al. Reduced circulating insulin-like growth factor I levels delay the onset of chemically and genetically induced mammary tumors. Cancer Res 2003; 63(15):4384-4388.
7. Baserga R, Hongo A, Rubini M, Prisco M, Valentinis B. The IGF-I receptor in cell growth, transformation and apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Acta 1997; 1332(3):F105-F126.
8. Long L, Rubin R, Baserga R, Brodt P. Loss of the metastatic phenotype in murine carcinoma cells expressing an antisense RNA to the insulin-like growth factor receptor. Cancer Res 1995; 55(5):1006-1009.
9. Guerra FK, Eijan AM, Puricelli L, Alonso DF, Bal de Kier JE, Kornblihgtt AR, et al. Varying patterns of expression of insulin-like growth factors I and II and their receptors in murine mammary adenocarcinomas of different metastasizing ability. Int J Cancer 1996; 65(6):812-820.
10. Adams TE, Epa VC, Garrett TP, Ward CW. Structure and function of the type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor. Cell Mol Life Sci 2000; 57(7): 10501093.
11. Resnicoff M, Baserga R. The role of the insulin-like growth factor I receptor in transformation and apoptosis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1998; 842:76-81.
12. Pollak MN. Endocrine effects of IGF-I on normal and transformed breast epithelial cells: potential relevance to strategies for breast cancer treatment and prevention. 2. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998; 47(3):209-217.
13. Guo YS, Jin GF, Houston CW, Thompson JC, Townsend CM, Jr. Insulin-like growth factor-I promotes multidrug resistance in MCLM colon cancer cells. J Cell Physiol 1998; 175(2):141-148.
14. Geier A, Beery R, Haimsohn M, Karasik A. Insulin-like growth factor-1 inhibits cell death induced by anticancer drugs in the MCF-7 cells: involvement of growth factors in drug resistance. Cancer Invest 1995; 13(5):480-486.
15. Nicholson RI, Hutcheson IR, Knowlden JM, Jones HE, Harper ME, Jordan N, et al. Nonendocrine pathways and endocrine resistance: observations with anti-estrogens and signal transduction inhibitors in combination 8. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10(1 Pt 2):346S-354S.
16. Nicholson RI, Johnston SR. Endocrine therapy-current benefits and limitations. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005; 93 Suppl 1:S3-10.
17. Nicholson RI, Staka C, Boyns F, Hutcheson IR, Gee JM. Growth factor-driven mechanisms associated with resistance to estrogen deprivation in breast cancer: new opportunities for therapy. Endocr Relat Cancer 2004; 11(4):623-641.
18. Hankinson SE, Willett WC, Colditz GA, Hunter DJ, Michaud DS, Deroo B, et al. Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer. Lancet 1998; 351(9113):1393-1396.
19. Yee D, Paik S, Lebovic GS, Marcus RR, Favoni RE, Cullen KJ, et al. Analysis of insulin-like growth factor I gene expression in malignancy: evidence for a paracrine role in human breast cancer. Mol Endocrinol 1989; 3(3):509-517.
20. Ellis MJ, Jenkins S, Hanfelt J, Redington ME, Taylor M, Leek R, et al. Insulinlike growth factors in human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998; 52(1-3):175-184.
21. Voskuil DW, Bosma A, Vrieling A, Rookus MA, 't Veer LJ. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-system mRNA quantities in normal and tumor breast tissue of women with sporadic and familial breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2004; 84(3):225-233.
22. Gebauer G, Jager W, Lang N. mRNA expression of components of the insulinlike growth factor system in breast cancer cell lines, tissues, and metastatic breast cancer cells. Anticancer Res 1998; 18(2A):1191-1195.
23. Chong YM, Williams SL, Elkak A, Sharma AK, Mokbel K. Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) and its receptor mRNA levels in breast cancer and adjacent non-neoplastic tissue. Anticancer Res 2006; 26(1A):167-173.
24. Sjogren K, Liu JL, Blad K, Skrtic S, Vidal O, Wallenius V, et al. Liver-derived insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) is the principal source of IGF-I in blood but is not required for postnatal body growth in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999; 96(12):7088-7092.
25. Umayahara Y, Kawamori R, Watada H, Imano E, Iwama N, Morishima T, et al. Estrogen regulation of the insulin-like growth factor I gene transcription involves an AP-1 enhancer. J Biol Chem 1994; 269(23):16433-16442.
26. Richards RG, Walker MP, Sebastian J, DiAugustine RP. Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) receptor-insulin receptor substrate complexes in the uterus. Altered signaling response to estradiol in the IGF-1(m/m) mouse. J Biol Chem 1998; 273(19):11962-11969.
27. Stewart AJ, Johnson MD, May FE, Westley BR. Role of insulin-like growth factors and the type I insulin-like growth factor receptor in the estrogen-stimulated proliferation of human breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem 1990; 265(34):21172-21178.
28. Dupont J, Karas M, LeRoith D. The potentiation of estrogen on insulin-like growth factor I action in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells includes cell cycle components. J Biol Chem 2000; 275(46):35893-35901.
29. Ruan W, Catanese V, Wieczorek R, Feldman M, Kleinberg DL. Estradiol enhances the stimulatory effect of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on mammary development and growth hormone-induced IGF-I messenger ribonucleic acid. Endocrinology 1995; 136(3):1296-1302.
30. Guvakova MA, Surmacz E. Overexpressed IGF-I receptors reduce estrogen growth requirements, enhance survival, and promote E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion in human breast cancer cells. Exp Cell Res 1997; 231(1): 149-162.
31. Kleinman D, Karas M, Roberts CT, Jr., LeRoith D, Phillip M, Segev Y, et al. Modulation of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) receptors and membrane-associated IGF-binding proteins in endometrial cancer cells by estradiol. Endocrinology 1995; 136(6):2531-2537.
32. Teruel T, Valverde AM, Benito M, Lorenzo M. Insulin-like growth factor I and insulin induce adipogenic-related gene expression in fetal brown adipocyte primary cultures. Biochem J 1996; 319 ( Pt 2):627-632.
33. Valverde AM, Lorenzo M, Navarro P, Benito M. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase is a requirement for insulin-like growth factor I-induced differentiation, but not for mitogenesis, in fetal brown adipocytes. Mol Endocrinol 1997; 11(5): 595-607.
34. Pollak M, Costantino J, Polychronakos C, Blauer SA, Guyda H, Redmond C, et al. Effect of tamoxifen on serum insulinlike growth factor I levels in stage I breast cancer patients. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990; 82(21):1693-1697.
35. Lonning PE, Hall K, Aakvaag A, Lien EA. Influence of tamoxifen on plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein I in breast cancer patients. Cancer Res 1992; 52(17):4719-4723.
36. Colletti RB, Roberts JD, Devlin JT, Copeland KC. Effect of tamoxifen on plasma insulin-like growth factor I in patients with breast cancer. Cancer Res 1989; 49(7):1882-1884.
37. Yu H, Rohan T. Role of the insulin-like growth factor family in cancer development and progression. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92(18):1472-1489.
38. Chong YM, Colston K, Jiang WG, Sharma AK, Mokbel K. The relationship between the insulin-like growth factor-1 system and the oestrogen metabolising enzymes in breast cancer tissue and its adjacent non-cancerous tissue. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2006 Jun 5.
39. Bulun SE, Lin Z, Imir G, Amin S, Demura M, Yilmaz B, et al. Regulation of aromatase expression in estrogen-responsive breast and uterine disease: from bench to treatment. Pharmacol Rev 2005; 57(3):359-383.
40. Giudice LC, Dsupin BA, Gargosky SE, Rosenfeld RG, Irwin JC. The insulinlike growth factor system in human peritoneal fluid: its effects on endometrial stromal cells and its potential relevance to endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994; 79(5):1284-1293.
41. Kudoh M, Susaki Y, Ideyama Y, Nanya T, Mori M, Shikama H. Inhibitory effects of a novel aromatase inhibitor, YM511, on growth of endometrial explants and insulin-like growth factor-I gene expression in rats with experimental endometriosis. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 1997; 63(1-3):75-80.
42. Wennbo H, Tornell J. The role of prolactin and growth hormone in breast cancer. Oncogene 2000; 19(8):1072-1076.
43. Hadsell DL, Murphy KL, Bonnette SG, Reece N, Laucirica R, Rosen JM. Cooperative interaction between mutant p53 and des(1-3)IGF-I accelerates mammary tumorigenesis. Oncogene 2000; 19(7):889-898.
44. Ng ST, Zhou J, Adesanya OO, Wang J, LeRoith D, Bondy CA. Growth hormone treatment induces mammary gland hyperplasia in aging primates. Nat Med 1997; 3(10):1141-1144.
45. Schernhammer ES, Holly JM, Pollak MN, Hankinson SE. Circulating levels of insulin-like growth factors, their binding proteins, and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14(3):699-704.
46. Allen NE, Roddam AW, Allen DS, Fentiman IS, Dos SS, I, Peto J, et al. A prospective study of serum insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF-II, IGF-binding protein-3 and breast cancer risk. Br J Cancer 2005; 92(7):1283-1287.
47. Krajcik RA, Borofsky ND, Massardo S, Orentreich N. Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-binding proteins, and breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002; 11(12):1566-1573.
48. Toniolo P, Brüning PF, Akhmedkhanov A, Bonfrer JM, Koenig KL, Lukanova A, et al. Serum insulin-like growth factor-I and breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2000; 88(5):828-832.
49. Li BD, Khosravi MJ, Berkel HJ, Diamandi A, Dayton MA, Smith M, et al. Free insulin-like growth factor-I and breast cancer risk. Int J Cancer 2001; 91(5):736-739.
50. Keinan-Boker L, Bueno De Mesquita HB, Kaaks R, van Gils CH, Van Noord PA, Rinaldi S, et al. Circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor I, its binding proteins -1,-2, -3, C-peptide and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2003; 106(1):90-95.
51. Rollison DE, Newschaffer CJ, Tao Y, Pollak M, Helzlsouer KJ. Premenopausal levels of circulating insulin-like growth factor I and the risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2006; 118(5):1279-1284.
Kaaks R, Lundin E, Rinaldi S, Manjer J, Biessy C, Soderberg S, et al. Prospective study of IGF-I, IGF-binding proteins, and breast cancer risk, in northern and southern Sweden. Cancer Causes Control 2002; 13(4):307-316. Shi R, Yu H, McLarty J, Glass J. IGF-I and breast cancer: a meta-analysis. Int J Cancer 2004; 111(3):418-423.
Muti P, Quattrin T, Grant BJ, Krogh V, Micheli A, Schunemann HJ, et al. Fasting glucose is a risk factor for breast cancer: a prospective study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002; 11(11):1361-1368.
Peyrat JP, Bonneterre J, Hecquet B, Vennin P, Louchez MM, Fournier C, et al. Plasma insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) concentrations in human breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 1993; 29A(4):492-497.
Vadgama JV, Wu Y, Datta G, Khan H, Chillar R. Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and serum IGF-binding protein 3 can be associated with the progression of breast cancer, and predict the risk of recurrence and the probability of survival in African-American and Hispanic women. Oncology 1999; 57(4): 330-340.
Coskun U, Gunel N, Sancak B, Gunel U, Onuk E, Bayram O, et al. Significance of serum vascular endothelial growth factor, insulin-like growth factor-I levels and nitric oxide activity in breast cancer patients. Breast 2003 ; 12(2):104-110. Holdaway IM, Mason BH, Lethaby AE, Singh V, Harvey VJ, Thompson PI, et al. Serum insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 following chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer. ANZ J Surg 2003; 73(11):905-908.
Yu H, Levesque MA, Khosravi MJ, Papanastasiou-Diamandi A, Clark GM, Diamandis EP. Associations between insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins and other prognostic indicators in breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1996; 74(8):1242-1247.
Mizukami Y, Nonomura A, Yamada T, Kurumaya H, Hayashi M, Koyasaki N, et al. Immunohistochemical demonstration of growth factors, TGF-alpha, TGF-beta, IGF-I and neu oncogene product in benign and malignant human breast tissues. Anticancer Res 1990; 10(5A):1115-1126.
W Al-Sarakbi, Chong Y, Williams S, Sharma A, Mokbel K. The mRNA expression of IGF-1 and IGF-1R in human breast cancer: association with clinico-pathological parameters. J Carcinog 2006; 5:16.
Toropainen E, Lipponen P, Syrjanen K. Expression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) in female breast cancer as related to established prognostic factors and long-term prognosis. Eur J Cancer 1995; 31A(9):1443-1448.
Eppler E, Zapf J, Bailer N, Falkmer UG, Falkmer S, Reinecke M. IGF-I in human breast cancer: low differentiation stage is associated with decreased
IGF-I content. Eur J Endocrinol 2002; 146(6):813-821.
Torrisi R, Decensi A, Formelli F, Camerini T, De PG. Chemoprevention of breast cancer with fenretinide. Drugs 2001; 61(7):909-918.
Fabian CJ, Kimler BF. Chemoprevention for high-risk women: tamoxifen and beyond. Breast J 2001; 7(5):311-320.
Friedl A, Jordan VC, Pollak M. Suppression of serum insulin-like growth factor-1 levels in breast cancer patients during adjuvant tamoxifen therapy. Eur J Cancer 1993; 29A(10):1368-1372.
Gail MH, Brinton LA, Byar DP, Corle DK, Green SB, Schairer C, et al. Projecting individualized probabilities of developing breast cancer for white females who are being examined annually. J Natl Cancer Inst 1989; 81(24):1879-1886. Gail MH, Costantino JP, Bryant J, Croyle R, Freedman L, Helzlsouer K, et al. Weighing the risks and benefits of tamoxifen treatment for preventing breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91(21):1829-1846.
69. Decensi A, Bonanni B, Guenieri-Gonzaga A, Gandini S, Robertson C, Johansson H, et al. Biologic activity of tamoxifen at low doses in healthy women. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998; 90(19):1461-1467.
70. Bonanni B, Ramazzoto F, Franchi D, et al. A randomised trial of fenretinide in HRT users using IGf-1 as a surrogate biomarker. (abstract). Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2000; A152.
71. Kao PC, Matheny AP, Jr., Lang CA. Insulin-like growth factor-I comparisons in healthy twin children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994; 78(2):310-312.
72. Harrela M, Koistinen H, Kaprio J, Lehtovirta M, Tuomilehto J, Eriksson J, et al. Genetic and environmental components of interindividual variation in circulating levels of IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3. J Clin Invest 1996; 98(11): 2612-2615.
73. Comuzzie AG, Blangero J, Mahaney MC, Haffner SM, Mitchell BD, Stern MP, et al. Genetic and environmental correlations among hormone levels and measures of body fat accumulation and topography. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81(2):597-600.
74. Rosen CJ, Kurland ES, Vereault D, Adler RA, Rackoff PJ, Craig WY, et al. Association between serum insulin growth factor-I (IGF-I) and a simple sequence repeat in IGF-I gene: implications for genetic studies of bone mineral density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998; 83(7):2286-2290.
75. Jernstrom H, Deal C, Wilkin F, Chu W, Tao Y, Majeed N, et al. Genetic and nongenetic factors associated with variation of plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 in healthy premenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2001; 10(4):377-384.
76. Jernstrom H, Chu W, Vesprini D, Tao Y, Majeed N, Deal C, et al. Genetic factors related to racial variation in plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-1: implications for premenopausal breast cancer risk. Mol Genet Metab 2001; 72(2):144-154.
77. Jernstrom H, Sandberg T, Bageman E, Borg A, Olsson H. Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) genotype predicts breast volume after pregnancy and hormonal contraception and is associated with circulating IGF-1 levels: implications for risk of early-onset breast cancer in young women from hereditary breast cancer families. Br J Cancer 2005; 92(5):857-866.
78. Missmer SA, Haiman CA, Hunter DJ, Willett WC, Colditz GA, Speizer FE, et al. A sequence repeat in the insulin-like growth factor-1 gene and risk of breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2002; 100(3):332-336.
79. Maskarinec G, Williams AE, Kaaks R. A cross-sectional investigation of breast density and insulin-like growth factor I. Int J Cancer 2003; 107(6):991-996.
80. Hartmann BW, Laml T, Kirchengast S, Albrecht AE, Huber JC. Hormonal breast augmentation: prognostic relevance of insulin-like growth factor-I. Gynecol Endocrinol 1998; 12(2):123-127.
81. Dupont WD, Page DL. Breast cancer risk associated with proliferative disease, age at first birth, and a family history of breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol 1987; 125(5):769-779.
82. Jernstrom H, Olsson H. Breast size in relation to endogenous hormone levels, body constitution, and oral contraceptive use in healthy nulligravid women aged 19-25 years. Am J Epidemiol 1997; 145(7):571-580.
Was this article helpful?